Sad Little Petit 4

Decorating By nannie Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 10:16pm by nannie

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 10

A friend and I decided to spend a sunday afternoon making petit 4s

Neither of us had made them before.

What a disaster. Too much filling oozing out, Tried 3 different icing recipes. None worked.

Here is a pic. kinda looks like abstract art. icon_razz.gif

Oh well
LL

9 replies
Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 10

Wow, I'm sorry you had such bad luck, but from the picture, I can't even tell what might have gone wrong. Maybe if you sent me a PM on what procedure you used I could offer a tip or two?

Pauldo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pauldo Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 10

yesterday must have been "let's attempt to make a petit fore" day. i was feeling good on friday when i bake 3 flavor cakes. let them freeze overnight then warmed up some candy coating (i read i could do that successfully) and began dipping the cakes (some i attempted to pour the coating) the 1st 5 were beautiful. the the next 25 were horrible. the final 70 are still frozen in the freezer waiting to be given to my students on monday or thrown in tuesdays trash. this is the 2nd time ive tried to do petit fores. 1st time was with some canned icing just to play around. but i was serious yesterday. oh well 3rd times charm. will try the poured fondant next time and charge more than $75 for 100 petit fores.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:29am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldo

... and charge more than $75 for 100 petit fores.

Think you're really shortchanging yourselves with those prices.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:45am
post #5 of 10

Me too!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 10

Most petit four icing is a little see through, so you can't use a dark filling without it showing.

The only way I have any luck with petit fours is to freeze them and then cover them with rolled fondant. It's pretty time-consuming and I just won't do them anymore, unless I want to give them as a gift.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 10

It does take some practice to get them nice and smooth. I still hate making them - and I charge $1.75 each for them.

I actually spoon the poured fondant over them.

You can use chcolate poured fondant or you can cover them twice if you want to hide the fillings. I actually make them with NO fillings for that reason. icon_wink.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 10

Well, "Nannie"... if that is your REAL ID.... looks to me like this is attempt to conceal the murder of a Star Trek Deep Space Nine character. The stuff oozing out of the so-called petit four appears to be none other than Odo, the Shape Shifter! How brazen to post the picture! Have you no shame??? icon_razz.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Well, "Nannie"... if that is your REAL ID.... looks to me like this is attempt to conceal the murder of a Star Trek Deep Space Nine character. The stuff oozing out of the so-called petit four appears to be none other than Odo, the Shape Shifter! How brazen to post the picture! Have you no shame??? icon_razz.gif

Ah, dorky hilarity, LOVE IT!!! thumbs_up.gif Odo was always one of my favs.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 10

sorry, all

I didn't get a notice of messages on this thread. icon_mad.gif

It does look a bit like Odo with a brick falling on his head. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for a good laugh.

We had a fun afternoon no matter the result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%