Fondant Covered Cake - Ahead Of Time?

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm by sherrycanary62

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 5

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've searched through the forums and can't find a link. So, I apologize if this is repetitive.

I am making my first fondant covered cake. 2 Tier, filled with buttercream. The party is on Sunday, and I just found out that I have to go away that weekend and leave on Friday afternoon. Can I make the cake ahead of time, say on Friday morning. Will it be ok to eat on Sunday afternoon?

Thank You!

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

It will be just fine if you make it on Friday. If you want, you can always add a moistening syrup (also known as simple syrup) to help keep it moist.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 5

I have made cakes and they have sat out for a few days and been fine.

I would actually suggest that you bake either wednesday night or Thursday morning...cakes need to settle before you cover with fondant do lessen the possiblity of bulging.

Decorating on Friday morning before leaving friday evening might be cutting your time short..especially since this is your first fondant cake. You might want to consider covering on Thursday night (if you have baked wednesday) and it should still be good. I don't understand it all yet..but there is a science to the sugar acting as a preservative and keeping the covered cake from becoming stale (locking in the moistness.) Just make sure you keep it loosely covered (no plastic ie: saran..plastic cake carrier) after covering to keep dust and lint and such off of it.

Good luck...make sure you post a picture when you are done!!

Happy Caking

karinaleongto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karinaleongto Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 5

To anybody, are we being band, i cant see my fotos, favorites & all the new uploads. I didnt do anything, is anybody else having the same problem, help.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinaleongto

To anybody, are we being band, i cant see my fotos, favorites & all the new uploads. I didnt do anything, is anybody else having the same problem, help.

Its a site technical problem...you can read all about it in the technical support forum...I am sure it is being worked on. Don't reload any pictures, they are not lost, just unavailable.

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%