Substitute For Strawberry Flavoured Gelatin?

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 7 Feb 2012 , 11:38pm by auzzi

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 7

Hi i'm in Oz and I can't seem to find strawberry flavoured gelatin that i read is one of the ingredients in strawberry lemonade cake i want to try because i don't think they make it over here.

Is there another substitute i can put in it's place? Could i just use Strawberry jelly crystals ( or to alot of you guys would be strawberry jello crystals), or is it really important that it's gelatin?

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:14am
post #2 of 7

Strawberry flavored gelatin is Jello (one major U.S. brand, the other being Royal). Any of the flavored gelatins would be Jello or Royal (gelatin, with flavoring and sugar).

Plain gelatin is, well, plain gelatin - no flavoring, no sugar.

Does that answer your question?

Elise87 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:48am
post #3 of 7

ohhhhhh so they are just jello crystals! right ok thank-u Jan icon_smile.gif I just have never heard them being refered to them as flavoured gelatin so i got confused.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.....i start very confusing posts lol

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:24am
post #4 of 7

Exactly - Jello crystals! thumbs_up.gif

(Who knew English speaking countries could have such language usage differences.) icon_surprised.gif But it was fun sorting it out. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck on your summertime cake, while the snow is flying here.... icon_lol.gif

Elise87 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:57am
post #5 of 7

whoops i wrote above i have heard them being called that...i meant have never heard them being called that

sigh.....i type too fast for my own good lol

Thanks again Jan icon_biggrin.gif

helenleckie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helenleckie Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you Jan and Elise for asking and answering that question - it came up in a Google search when I was trying to figure out the same thing! I bought an Amish cookbook on a recent holiday to the US, and was surprised to find how many processed ingredients are in it - much more do than my regular cookbooks. At least we have jelly crystals (flavored gelatin/Jello crystals) here. Now where an I going to get frozen whipped topping?

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 7

Cake Decorating Solutions (formerly Bakery Sugarcraft Retail) in Sydney stocks "Flavour Right Whip N Ice". It appears to be an equivalent to "frozen whipped topping" ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%