Making Snowflakes

Decorating By kellyhoffer Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 4:54am by vandru10

kellyhoffer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyhoffer Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 28

I have tried royal icing and gumpaste without success, aggravated with it.

I have scene about 8 different cakes with these snowflakes that look like they are cut out by a cutter of some sort and are very cute. I have asked each user but have not had a response yet. I have cookie cutters of different size but they are not the same. Whatever they are using looks very detailed, it is hard to explain without seeing it. I actually even saw Buddy Valastro use those same flakes on a cake he did the other night for these girls PR firm. Does anyone know what they are using?
Thanks much, these snowflakes are driving me nuts!:0)
This is a link to a picture of what I am talking about.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1535332&done=2

27 replies
masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:31am
post #2 of 28

LOL.. we just asked similar questions.. I'm making a snowflake cake also, but i'm wanting snowflakes to put onto fondant and have it look good... i'm thinking.. royal icing?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 28

they look like the PME plunger cutters. they sell them at globalsugarart.comhth

kellyhoffer Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 28

That is funny. I have tried the cookie cutter but i have not found a very detailed one. I tried royal icing using Merigue powder but it did not work, they broke. Someone told me you have to use the old fashioned royal icing with egg whites becaues there is not enough protein inthe MP. Makes sense so I may try that but man I stink at this. I want to know what that plunger is!

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:05am
post #5 of 28

I agree that it is the PME Snowflake plunger cutter set. You can get them on globalsugarart

kellyhoffer Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 28

So have you used it and is it easy to use? Worth the money? or should I just keep trying royal icing?

caketherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketherapy Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:16am
post #7 of 28

I too just started my search. Those do look like the plunger,
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CD7085&c2p=hp&bhcd2=1260497698
here is athe snowflake set i am going to order to make mine.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/holiday/xmas/SnowflakeSet.jpg

Best wishes to you all on your snowflakes thumbs_up.gif

SRReeder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRReeder Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:18am
post #8 of 28

I used my Silhouette to cut my snowflakes, but I also bought a snowflaker cutter mini set from Walmart for $3, I just couldn't pass it up.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:37am
post #9 of 28

Boy, you guys answered my question before I even asked. I, too, have been looking for a good snowflake cutter. My cookie ones are too large and I didn't want to take the time to work with royal. Thanks for the suggestions.

caketherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketherapy Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:48am
post #10 of 28

You could also try using candy melts if you want to pipe them out.
Go to Yahoo images and print out some snowflake templates, cover with wax paper and pipe away
Have fun!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:50am
post #11 of 28

all their products are worth the money. i have the snowflake plungers. haven,t used them yet.. will next week.. have the holly ones.. used them.. and others. you will love them also.. look on globalsugarart. you will see them all.. and the veins in them..

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:03am
post #12 of 28

I too have been looking for a easier way thanks for the post

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:08am
post #13 of 28

Those are definitely the PME plunger/snowflakes...just did some tonight...love them!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:10am
post #14 of 28

I have this fondant mold from Kitchen Krafts. They are on the small side, but I do love them. http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CD0130&bhcd2=1260500973 I do plan to get larger ones one of these days.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #15 of 28

I love the PME plunger cutters, I have several all of them are great.

I used the snowflake ones in a class last week, they're great, so great I came home and ordered them icon_smile.gif

summerki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerki Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:14am
post #16 of 28

I have the cutters and embossing sheets from autumn carpenter and have been very happy with the level of detail you get from them, but they are not as dimensional as the ones in the image you were interested in. When I put the snowflakes on a cake I followed the impressions with royal icing to get a high degree of detail. They are worth checking out.

ShellsSweetsIndy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:53am
post #17 of 28

I have these and really love them. My girls even love to use them. One trick is to make sure you push the plunger down before you release it to make sure the details press into the gumpaste. One other problem I have found is that the gumpaste accumulates on the outside of the cutter but you can pick it out with a toothpick pretty quick.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:09am
post #18 of 28

I got these from Cakes By Sam, went on a wedding cake this morning:
LL

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:12am
post #19 of 28

Meant to say, got a mold set from Cakes by Sam that I made these flakes with. There are also little patches of "ice" (rainbow iridescent flakes) on parts of the cake, the little patchy looking areas (look funny in the pictures). icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:31am
post #20 of 28

Here is a cake I used the PME cutters on - it got rave reviews! I dipped them in disco dust before putting them on the cake.
LL

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:00am
post #21 of 28

I just did a snowflake cake with the plunger snowflake cutters. I used fondant with tylose added. It wasn't too bad but I had to use a pin to help with the detail edges. Maybe it would be a cleaner cut with gumpaste. I have the cake in my pictures.

Loucinda Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:14am
post #22 of 28

I used MMF/gumpaste and just lightly greased the cutter - they plunged out just fine. I have found that doing that helps a lot.....I put some shortning on my mat, and then jiggle the cutter back and forth through it a couple of times.

cakewitch85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewitch85 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:43pm
post #23 of 28

How did you get the disco dust to stick to the fondant. I'm going to make them today and want to add edible glitter to my.

cakewitch85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewitch85 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #24 of 28

How did you get the disco dust to stick to the fondant. I'm going to make them today and want to add edible glitter to my.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:42pm
post #25 of 28

I agree with above - PME plunger cutters are great! Use them with gumpaste and dust it with corn starch or powdered sugar before cutting. My latest blue cake have them in 2 sizes.
I have theese kind of plunger cutters for holly, rose leafs, sunflowers and butterflies - so fast and easy!

Loucinda Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #26 of 28

CW- I just dipped them into the disco dust right after cutting them, the dust stuck to them with nothing added. I did use piping gel to adhere them to the cake (which I put on immediately after dipping them in the disco dust - before they got firm)

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 5:29pm
post #27 of 28

I was just going to post a question, and saw this string- I would like to purchase these, can someone tell me how large the largest snowflake is?
TIA
Kerri

vandru10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vandru10 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:54am
post #28 of 28

Kerri,
Here is the link to the set of plunger cutters at pastrychef.com

http://www.pastrychef.com/SNOWFLAKE-PLUNGER-CUTTER-SET_p_1540.html

the sizes are:
"3 piece set, can produce a small (1"), medium (1 1/2") or large Snowflake (2 1/4") with an embossed pattern."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%