Swiss Meringue Problems

Decorating By theatomiccakeco Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 5:07am by DetailsByDawn

theatomiccakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theatomiccakeco Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 17

I've been making the same swiss meringue recipe forever and suddenly it won't work. I've already wasted two batches and I'm about to scream. My egg whites just won't whip up. I've made sure there is no fat or yolk ( I use pasteurized whites) and yet nothing. The mixture turns white and does thicken a bit in the mixing bowl but never forms anything resembling a peak. The last batch I let go in the mixer for almost 30 minutes and still nothing. Has this happened to anyone else??

16 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 17

You most likely are not cleaning any residual grease off everything that those egg whites are touching during the process. I wouldn't ever use carton egg whites, but that's a personal preference.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 17

Have you always used the pasteurized whites? Same brand? I know a lot of brands of those won't whip up... If all else fails, try real ones.

GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 17

Are the whites cold? Maybe try warming them to room temp, that may help? I always use SMBC and have not had this happen yet. Let me know if you find out what the issue is so I can avoid it. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 17

Hey gamer... how would the whites be cold after she heats them with the sugar to make smbc??? icon_eek.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Hey gamer... how would the whites be cold after she heats them with the sugar to make smbc??? icon_eek.gif

I set my eggs out for a bit before I whip up a batch.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:03am
post #7 of 17

I'm betting it has to do with the pasturized egg whites. I just made a batch the other day and got distracted while it was whipping, bowl was completely filled up, had to take some out just to get mey butter started.LOL

GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 17

If you are using pasturized egg whites you don't need to heat them.

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl

If you are using pasturized egg whites you don't need to heat them.

Ok, that just gives me the heebie jeebies. That really makes me never want to use those. Give me fresh eggs or give me death! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KoryAK Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 17

That may be ok from a food safety standpoint yes, but heating is part of the recipe process to make SMBC. If you don't heat them before whipping with the sugar you have a French meringue, not a Swiss one, and it is the least stable of the 3 meringue types. I'm just sayin'.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 17

Jamie, what recipe do you use, if you don't mind me asking? I'm finding all sorts of recipes, but i'd rather try one out that someone can vouch for. And since I see you ALL over the forums and your cakes are A.MAZ.ING!! I'd like to see what you're working with icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 17

Oh goodness....thank you! Can't take credit for this recipe, but here it goes: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

This recipe was submitted by the ever fabulous Jeanne-aka- From Scratch, a user here. Now you wanna talk fabulousity in sugar? Her stuff is what inspired me to kick my cakes up a notch. Or two. icon_biggrin.gif

sweet-n-sassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-n-sassy Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:19am
post #13 of 17

i have never been able to get egg whites out of a carton to whip up, does letting them warm up help them to peak?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 17

Sweet---don't bother with carton whites. Yuch. Use real fresh eggs, they won't give you problems.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 17

I never had great success with carton ones either. Just totally forget egg beaters. I could get "All whites" to beat a little and added cream of tarter (?) but it deflated when I added the butter (IMBC). With real eggs, no problem but then I worry about the health risks if older people are eating it but maybe SMBC is heated up enough that kills any bacteria?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 17

Yes. Recommended at least 140, I go to 160.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:07am
post #17 of 17

I'm a pasteurized egg white user too. I use Naturegg Simply Egg Whites and I never have a problem. I still heat to 160 because I find that that times my whipping perfectly. I also leave my whites out for about 30 mins before I start and my water is already at a rolling boil. Also make sure that your water is not touching the bottom of your bowl. I put too much water below my last batch and ruined it - didn't even realize until I lifted the bowl to inspect and saw it dripping off the bottom. Had to toss it, so that might have been an issue for you if you haven't changed anything else. Honestly, I have to say that I won't go back to fresh egg whites unless I'm baking for a small family party and I know all the guests health issues. I started using SMBC for my daughter's 1st birthday and I wasn't taking any chances. Good luck, I hope you get the issue resolved!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%