Building Next Door To Mine Burned Down

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm by rosiecast

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:33am
post #1 of 7

I live in an apartment complex. The building next door just burned caught on fire about 10:45. It's about 15 or 20 feet from mine and the fire was in the part of that building straight across the lawn. There were flames shooting out of the roof there. I don't know if everyone made it out of there, there was a man upstairs who has cancer in both legs and a lot of trouble walking, I asked about him and the firemen hadn't seen him in the crowd that had come out, so say a prayer for him if you would.

They're still out there spraying the building down. I took the kids and the pets and got out until they had it was a big enough fire that when you walked outside my front door and turned around and looked up you could see the flames shooting up over my roof.

6 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:43am
post #2 of 7

how scary, glad you are ok and will say a prayer for the man

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 7

Wow so glad that you and yours were spared--and I'm echoing Ursula on prayers for all concerned.


indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 7

Wow ... fires are my big 'safety' thing. My parents went thru 2 housefires by the time I was 14 (both were landlord's fault), so I know personally how devistating it can be. There is such a feeling of helplessness because all you can do is stand there,with nothing but the clothes on your back (and one of those two times, the clothes were nightclothes!) and watch it all go up in smoke ... literally.

So glad to hear your family got out ok. Keep us posted, please.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 7

Everyone got out all right, the firemen said they even saved all the cats icon_biggrin.gif

Man, it is weird looking out and seeing the sun shining through what should be solid walls. They said the chimney over there might fall on our building....the chimney is about 3 stories tall and made out of stone but the top of it looks like part of it burned away. They've fenced it off. If it falls it's likely to take out my washer and dryer (which I am still paying Home Depot for, ha ha) but none of our living/sleeping areas are there where it could fall.

Apparently it was a cigarette that started the fire, someone thought their cigarette was out and it wasn't. There's a complex two blocks from us that had a fire last night too and theirs was started by someone falling asleep with a candle burning.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 7

I'm so sorry to hear that. We just had 2 fires in the same week. The first one was an elderly residential complex. It happened late at night when it was 30 degrees out. Everyone got out ok, but lost all their memories.It was also caused by a candle. the place went up, cause when it was constructed, a sprinkler system was not required. dunce.gif How upgrades were not needed to maintain their license is beyond me!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 7

So sad. I hope that chimney doesn't fall on your property. Glad they got everyone out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%