Mini Cakes Iced In Buttercream-How To Keep From Smudging?

Decorating By Jeannie21 Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 12:39am by ailika

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

Hi all!

I just received the new cake pan i ordered and im so excited! Its 6 mini 3 tiered cakes in one pan....so cute! For our christmas party coming up I wanted to make snowmen out of the little cakes but I wanted to ice them in buttercream not fondant. So I was wondering how to keep them from smudging? How would I transport them and also the guests will need to pick up thier own...

I was thinking putting each one in cupcake liners but im not sure about that. Any suggestions?

here is what the pan looks like:
LL

4 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:26am
post #2 of 5

I think gluing each mini cake to a mini cake board circle with icing will hold them still. Then take masking tape and make loops of it to secure the cake boards to the bottom of a box so they won't slide around in transit.

I don't think paper muffin cups are big enough or will look very nice.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 5

My mind immediately went to poured fondant. I can't see how you could ice them smoothly (and sanely) any other way, lol. As for the paper cups, if you were planning on laying them flat and making the smooth circle larger (creating an almost mini-fluted paper plate-like thing) they would look fine. But if you meant to put them inside of a standing paper cup, I think you would lose all the details of the tiered cake, which is probably what you loved about the pan to begin with.

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #4 of 5

hmmm these are both good ideas! Ive never used poured fondant before though, do you have a recipe? And does it taste good? I think im more concerned about the taste rather than looks of these little cakes.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:39am
post #5 of 5

I would dip them poured fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%