Would Anyone Make Sandra Lee's Kwanzaa Cake?!

Lounge By CeeTee Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 3:28am by Joyfull4444

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:42pm
post #31 of 64

My favorite flavor is vanilla, I'm a chocoholic, and I adore cinnamon. I just can't imagine taking vanilla frosting and adding "1 or 2 teaspoons" of vanilla, plus the cocoa and cinnamon. If I had a can of vanilla frosting in the house, I'd actually mix it up just to try it. More that feeling one gets when they drive by an accident and just have to look. This just does not sound appetizing to me.

I'm glad someone pointed out the significance of the nuts for the cake, and I know the candles have significance. But I do think she could have made something that the mainstream could make that would have been a whole lot nicer than that cake. If this was done for a kids segment, yeah I could see it, but not for a regular show. It's just too amateurish, at best.

Oh, and did I mention that I love angel food cake too?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:45pm
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

And that woman absolutely must be sleeping with somebody or have pictures of the president of the food network naked playing golf with Satan...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Ever seen the South Park movie, they weren't playing golf but that reminded me of it icon_biggrin.gif

Ah, Satan and Saddam. Good times. icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:45pm
post #33 of 64

I could be wrong but I think semi-homemade is synonymous with amateur hour. icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:46pm
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I could be wrong but I think semi-homemade is synonymous with amateur hour. icon_biggrin.gif

You make a very good point. I don't watch her myself, she just never did anything that caught my interest enough to keep watching.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:49pm
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ah, Satan and Saddam. Good times. icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

That was the funniest movie ever...until I saw Super Troopers.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #36 of 64

You boys like Meh-HEE-ko?? Oh yes, that beats SouthPark annnnnyday!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #37 of 64

The metal cup...I always tell my husband he needs one when we go to the range icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:55pm
post #38 of 64

Lol!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm
post #39 of 64
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I thought we were gonna be a kinder gentler cake forum.

Well, I didn't agree to that icon_razz.gif And that woman absolutely must be sleeping with somebody or have pictures of the president of the food network naked playing golf with Satan...

Seriously, if one of my kids produced any of thise cakes, I'd be embarrassed.

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:19pm
post #40 of 64

OMG!... This cake is hideous and should have been thrown in the garbage as soon as she finished icon_biggrin.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #41 of 64
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I thought we were gonna be a kinder gentler cake forum.

Well, I didn't agree to that icon_razz.gif And that woman absolutely must be sleeping with somebody or have pictures of the president of the food network naked playing golf with Satan...

Seriously, if one of my kids produced any of thise cakes, I'd be embarrassed.

Yeah for sure but she's got the big tv show, I dust book shelves and you hurry dollars into payroll. Go figure.

But let me hasten to edit ~~you've been on tv too--just a matter of time before you have your own show huh??!!!

A little indy filmcompany actually just did a documentary about us... Its really unnerving to wear a mic all the time, and you feel like you always have to be DOING something, you know, as opposed to watching surprised kitty

on the interwebs and drinking coffee.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 11:51pm
post #42 of 64

I can appreciate the thought behind making this cake, but the excecution...oy! This cake is a wreck! There's no way to be kind about it!

I'm sure she's a nice lade in real life and I know she does a lot of charity work. Nothing personal against her...but she still put corn nuts on an ugly angel food cake filled with canned pie filling. That's just WRONG. And if I did the same thing (wether on TV or not), I would not blame folks if they called me out on that gross misjudgement too!

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:03am
post #43 of 64

The cake looks ghastly but I was kinda stunned when she crammed those gigantic candles into it. Is there a reason the candles are so big??

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:08am
post #44 of 64

The cake looks ghastly but I was kinda stunned when she crammed those gigantic candles into it. Is there a reason the candles are so big??

-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:15am
post #45 of 64

I don't know maybe so they don't sink into the apple goo??

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:21am
post #46 of 64

Dude, can I call it or what? so I posted at 3:40 that it was just a matter of time and sure enough less than an hour later --the chick's got her own tv show! A star is borned!!!

Stick with me, kid, I'll make you and that hammy little kitten famous. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote:

Quote:

But let me hasten to edit ~~you've been on tv too--just a matter of time before you have your own show huh??!!!

A little indy filmcompany actually just did a documentary about us... Its really unnerving to wear a mic all the time, and you feel like you always have to be DOING something, you know, as opposed to watching surprised kitty

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:26am
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis

The cake is weird --but it is symbolic--in it's own unique way.

I mean I think about it like if she posted it on here--it might not be anyone's 'fave'--it might not have pages of congratulatory posts but we'd be civil...for the most part.

Sure, I'd be very civil and sincere. But the combination used in that particular cake would still make me feel a bit queasy. Tell me again, what does the barely chocolate, cinnamon-y frosting made with canned vanilla frosting represent?

The semi-homemade must mean she baked the cake. Now I'm semi-interested in the Kwanza cake itself. I may have to do some reading on it. Maybe one could have the cake and nuts separate. I forget what someone said the angel food cake represents. Kwanza isn't a very old tradition/holiday, is it? I thought I'd heard that it was just started within the last decade.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:13am
post #48 of 64

Carol--I don't know--I'm no expert on either Kwanzaa or Sandra--I'd guess the angel food cake was store bought though. I mean her show is not geared to the fine dining crowd but to non-foodies for the most part. Different strokes huh?

Kwanzaa was started by a convicted felon who later taught at a California University.

But that is my quote there in your post not Tex's--if you can still edit your post.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #49 of 64

Oops, it's fixed.

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #50 of 64

NASTY cake tapedshut.gif and what the heck with the candles could the prop department have made some a little bigger to draw attention away from the cake. She has made some cute things in the past but this was a train wreck
Seriously somebody do her a favor and shoot her recipe advisor

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #51 of 64

The only acceptable excuse for anyone making that mess of a cake would be that they were stoned.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:54am
post #52 of 64

If I am not mistaken, someone made a small version of the Kwanzaa cake and brought it to a book store where Jen from Cake Wrecks was appearing. When she appears people from all over arrive with little versions of cakes featured on her site. I don't think the Sandra Lee cake was on her site, but it was funny and a wreck.
My husband has only seen one of her shows. She was making a volcano cake and could not believe his eyes.
It is as another poster noted amateur, but maybe someone will start with her idea and become interested in trying real cake decorating. Who knows?

-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:45am
post #53 of 64
Quote:

So when will this be on and what channel???? I'm dying to see this. You gotta put it on utube if they don't show it in my area.

They would hate me if they tried to film me--I'm mean there's only so much you can do with hour upon hour of footage of the john door--I'd totally have roaring diarrhea. And besides I love this old truism I have the perfect face for radio. And if I don't get serious about losing a few pounds it's gonna be a very wide band width-- icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Anyway--please keep us posted on your red carpet event. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:58am
post #54 of 64

Knowing that she is not a cake decorator, I find that her cake is not bad.

If I never knew how to decorate cakes, I'd probably make a cake that would look like that. I'd also be proud if I did.

I like Sandra Lee and her touching background.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 12:49pm
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I like Sandra Lee and her touching background.

Me too. She totally rocks.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #56 of 64

The modern celebration of Kwanzaa lasts seven days, from December 26 to January 1. Each of the seven days of the celebration is dedicated to one of the seven principles. Each day one candle is lit that represents each principle.

Day 1 - middle candle - Black - Umoja - Unity
Day 2 - innermost red candle - Kujichagulia - Self-determination
Day 3 - innermost green candle - Ujima - Collective Work and Responsibility
Day 4 - middle red candle - Ujamaa - Cooperative Economics
Day 5 - middle green candle - Nia - Purpose
Day 6 - outermost red candle - Kuumba - Creativity
Day 7 - outermost green candle - Imani - Faith

There are many symbols of Kwanzaa. The Kwanzaa candelabra is called a kinara. The straw mat that the kinara is placed on is a mkeka. Ears of corn are also placed on the mat, one to represent each child in the household. They are called the vibunzi (or muhindi). A fruit basket is placed on the mkeka, and is called the mazao. The unity cup is also placed on the mkeka, and is called the kikombe cha umoja. The seven candles that are placed in the kinara are called the Mishumaa Saba. Finally, all the gifts are called the zawadi and are traditionally given on Imani - the last day of Kwanzaa.

detective.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:07pm
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

You have to watch the one with her showing Mario Lopez how to decorate a $40 store bought cake with cookies and make it look like a $400 cake.
My DH watched it and was about ready to pass out he was laughing so hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cpd6rHIfyA&feature=related

OMGawsh!!!! I'm speechless!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:42am
post #58 of 64

She's not a cake decorator so that accounts for the unattractiveness of the cake. The combination of everything edible is just horrible. It sounds like a recipe for a stomach ache. Canned apples are just gross.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:27am
post #59 of 64

Thanks, Joyfull. I knew about half of that info. Thanks for filling it in!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:15pm
post #60 of 64

That cake was just plain pitiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%