Stacking A Buttercream Covered Cake

Decorating By Becky52 Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm by Becky52

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 8

How in the HECK do you stack a buttercream covered cake without ruining the buttercream on both cakes - the one you are moving and the one you are putting it on. I've tried having the dowels stick out and kindof "dropping the cake on" but I still screw up the bottom of the buttercream. The way I am doing it, I can never get away with not having a border on the stacked cakes icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Harleyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harleyfan Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 8

I can't answer your question from experience, but I know Tonedna (Edna) has awesome YouTube tutorials and that is one of them. Try searching with key words "cake decorating" or something like that. More tenured CC'ers probably have better key words for the search or personal experience from which to draw to help you, but still try to watch her tutorials. I've learned soooooo much from them. And.... looking at her website, www.designmeacake.com, a great deal of her cakes are done in buttercream. Many, many thanks to Edna!!

Hope this helps!

Always Learning!
~Harleyfan

Harleyfan Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 8

Hi!

I found it! "How to stack a cake...my way!" Edna goes through the entire process, her way, of stacking a 4 tier buttercream cake. I promise, you'll learn something!!

~Harleyfan icon_biggrin.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 8

I use the stress free support system but still usually have a small border where the cakes meet. I need tutoring for better results.

Becky52 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 8

I found it and watched that video - thanks. There are a few things I'm going to try next time - but she makes it seem so easy and it's looks PERFECT. Wow, I'm jealous icon_eek.gif Wish me luck!

Harleyfan Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 8

You bet. icon_smile.gif I'll be re-watching it myself when I go to stacking! Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 8

Invest in Sugar Shack's Successful Stacking DVD. Well worth it!

Becky52 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 8

Good idea about Sugar Shack's DVD. I do have her "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" and love it...although, I am still perfecting that tooicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%