Thoughts On Congratulatory Posts?

Business By Lenette Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 5:17am by ljdills

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 15

I am thinking about posting pics of my cakes on facebook and my new blog (if I ever get going on it) along with a congrats to "joe and jill" for a wedding or "happy bday sam"; perhaps a description of the cake flavors or description if it was patterned after the invite or something else that made it special.

Do you think I need to ask for permission from the client to post this? Granted I am only using their first names and my own picture of the cake. Maybe I am over thinking this...

What do you think of the idea in general?

14 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 15

I think if it's your own photo of your cake, it's totally cool. If it shows wedding guests ... eh, maybe you should crop them out or not post.

I say post away! I'd love to see them!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 15

I'm not a business owner, so I guess I can give you my perspective as a potential customer. icon_smile.gif Personally, it wouldn't bother me to find out that my baker had chosen to advertise or share a photo of the cake she had made for me. I wouldn't mind about the names, either (as long as you use the first names only). I'd feel like my privacy had been compromised if my full name was used. Good luck with promoting your business!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 15

Perhaps you can add to your contracts that you reserve the right to use any of your own photos of the cake in your advertising.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 15

I had couple of my vendors use their own photos of my wedding on their sites for advertising. I had no problem with any of it, and thought it was quite great, actually. I don't see any problems as long as you respect their privacy and don't use last names.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:04am
post #6 of 15

I use the free photobucket link. I add each new cake there. Then, on Facebook, I have the link under my profile and each time someone wants to see my newest cakes they can just click on the link and they always get to see my new photos. Occasionally I post a particular cake on Facebook, just to show off a particular one, or to "remind" people to go check my latest cakes out. It always prompts lots of people to go and check.
On top of that, at the bottom of my emails it's setup with the link to go see "my latest cakes" and the link to photobucket. As far as people being concerned about their cakes being posted. We've NEVER had a problem, and in fact people want to know just how soon they can see their cake on the site so they can show everyone.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:53am
post #7 of 15

Thanks ya'll, I'm gonna go for it! The worst that can happen is someone asks to have their name taken off so I am probably thinking too much into it. Appreciate the feedback though! icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:46am
post #8 of 15

I think it is a great idea, In fact you could add it to the contract...have them initial on the line securing permission.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 15

I put a section in my contract stating that I can use photos of my cakes for any reason without compensation to the customer. I think as long as you use first names only, and use pictures just of cake, with no people in them, you'd be fine icon_smile.gif

cindycraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 15

I post my cake pics on Facebook all the time. You should ask their permission to tag them in the photo, but that picture is of your work and I would think that you could post it freely without a tag. If they don't want to be tagged, then it won't show up on their wall. If they do, then that's just that much more exposure for you and they get to brag to their friends about how great their cake was. Facebook is a great place to promote your cakes- it's free and its the hottest thing going right now. I hope it brings you lots of business!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:30am
post #11 of 15

I pimp my clients pics all on the net. I have it in my contract though.
It's just a gallery of them all cutting their cake.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #12 of 15

I would just add it to the contract...then they know up front you might do this.

Jen icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

I pimp my clients pics all on the net. I have it in my contract though.
It's just a gallery of them all cutting their cake.

icon_surprised.gif Are you a cake picture pimp?! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #14 of 15

you should put in your paper work that the client signs saying you can use any photos and first names avalible to you. that way no one can say anything.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:17am
post #15 of 15

My contract states that I may use pictures of the cake, but if you are using pictures that also include the client I would get their permission first. I personally do not like pictures of my children floating around on the internet. (Maybe I've watched too much Nancy Grace), but in any case I would rather ask the client rather than have them approach me after the fact angry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%