Gingerbread House Help.....

Decorating By sugarmommy83 Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 6:57am by luvmysmoother

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

Believe it or not I don't think I've ever made a gingerbread house (at least not since I was a kid)!!! The hospital I work at is having a Gingerbread House Contest between all the departments and my department has nominated me to make the house. Any tips, ideas, suggestions would be really appreciated...it's not even about winning, I just really want to make my team proud and create an awesome house/scene. Do i use royal icing to hold the structure together? What else do I need to know? Any inside tricks...tips?

7 replies
Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 8

I am absolutely no expert but yes, RI works to hold it together. Also, when you cut out your shapes of the gingerbread dough, save the card board shape and as SOON as they come out from the oven, while they are still soft, lay them over your gingerbread shapes again and go over with a knife to get nice straight sides. I always bake mine a few extra minutes than I would do for cookies that you will eat so that it is a little sturdier. I have read recommendations to let them air dry to get harder as well.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 8

You can also use melted chocolate to hold the pieces together, which is great because it dries much faster than the RI and you can use canned air to make it set pretty much instantaneously! There is a great thread on here all about gingerbread houses with lots of great tips and tricks.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 8

Would the chocolate hold up if it was stored over the summer months. I would use royal icing just so it was solid and will last longer, unless you aren't going to keep it. Just a thought!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 8

No, the chocolate wouldn't hold up if you stored it.

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks all for responding so quickly...here's another stupid question....how do I find this "thread" to gingerbread tips etc? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:47am
post #7 of 8

Anyone interested in doing a gingerbread house thread

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-604431-0.html

Here is a link for you icon_smile.gif Best wishes on your house!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:57am
post #8 of 8

I'm in the same boat myself - in charge of making the gingerbread house for an interdepartmental work competitionicon_smile.gif I've decided on a gingerbread igloo (they're giving out a ribbon for uniqueness in addition to the overall favoriteicon_smile.gif) - will form the gingerbread around an ovenproof metal bowl. I don't think I'll even require royal icing for the igloo part (am intending to cover it in fondant) Then I'll make a Christmas tree made out of an inverted ice cream cone or rkt and attaching foil covered chocolate balls with royal icing...hope it turns out and hope yours does tooicon_smile.gif I'll try to post a picture of the completed projecticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%