How Do I "quilt" Butter Cream??

Decorating By WelshCakes Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 11:01pm by JenniferMI

WelshCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WelshCakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a baby shower cake and want my top tier to have that quilted look. I am covering in butter cream and am wondering if this can be done and how. I was thinking about just using a ruler and pressing in the icing but don't want to screw it up. Any suggestions???

5 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 6

they make a pattern press that you can push onto the sides of the cake - it is a diamond impression mat - search for it online.

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:43am
post #3 of 6

If you don't have an impression mat, you can most definately use a ruler. I take a ruler and cover the edge in a paper towel, (viva or jobsquad), just scotch tape it to the ruler, and it will give you a much cleaner and softer line. You need to make sure the towel is on there real smooth, because any wrinkles will show on the cake. If the ruler is not covered, it tends to cut in to the icing a lot more. Just make sure your icing is fairly dry to the touch, not sticky. I actually use one of those triangle shaped rulers. I think its easier to handle.

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 6

The first one I made, I measured it out with a ruler, tried to make every square exactly the same. Took for ever, now I just wing it and it looks just as good.

WelshCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WelshCakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I did the cake this weekend and I ended up using a large paint scraper covered with a paper towel. It worked out great. It wasn't perfect but it will be next time. Thanks again!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 6

Impression mats are the easiest way I know.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%