How Much Do I Need To Charge For This??

Decorating By BecuzImAGurl Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm by BecuzImAGurl

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #61 of 74

lol................i come out ahead trust me...........granted, I'm not making BIG BUCKS over here in rural Ohio........but I definitely make at least a 100% profit off of every cake. I'm twice the cost of any of the bakeries that do the same sort of things I do, and just wanted to let you all know that Big Lots has little tiny boxes of rice krispies for .50 each they're the size of a box of wheat thins.......so cute! And perfect when you only need to make one little thing out of rkt Sometimes they break open those packs of the individual boxes of cereal (u know the one box per bowl things) and sell them for .10 each!

K8 don't you save your fondant scraps? I reroll them and save them for another cake or cookies or something.....I don't waste a thing.

I have to add by saying that 6" rounds are not what keeps me in business anyhow.......I make my money on wedding cakes and carved cakes, so it really doesn't kill me to spend an hr. decorating a $30.00 cake.
I've just got to get people to quit ordering sheetcakes around here!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm
post #62 of 74

Yes I save my scraps. My point was it takes a greater investment than just the materials in the finished product. Which you knew that already.

Great idea on the baby boxes of rk.

If you are twice the price of some of the other bakeries--you're awesome.

Maybe disclaimer it different when you input to pricing threads--say, I am twice the price of some of the competiton--instead of 'don't kill me' icon_lol.gif

Because you're doing a great job once we coax the whole story outa yah.

KHalstead Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:40pm
post #63 of 74

No no K8 I realize.....and that greater investment that it does require DOES get figured in monthly to my expense report, but when pricing the individual cake prices I just kinda highballed and averaged to get a price point.

I just didn't want everyone to kill me for insinuating that her cake was only WORTH $30.00 because it's awesome looking ...........just, in my area people balk at me charging $15.00 for a bc iced 6" round..........gotta train em'! lol Of course the bakery up town here charges $6.00 for a 6" round.......wonder how much profit they get? lol

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:59pm
post #64 of 74

Yeah wow that's low. I guess people where you live can have their cake and eat it too. I am just confused as to why the need to compete price wise with a totally different product. Mass produced basic cake does not = custom baked and decorated like you do. I hope you have inflate your price in the near future. You deserve it.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #65 of 74

KH, I'm buying my cakes from you! I can, and do, get at least 2-3 times what you'd charge me and I wouldn't have to lift a finger icon_wink.gif!

KHalstead Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:07pm
post #66 of 74

LOL -I've actually had people across the Pennsylvania line try to do just that!! In Erie Pa. just 30 miles away there is a lady that does exactlly the same type of stuff I do and she charges $5.00-$10.00/serv. and it says (prices may go up from there, this is a starting point)........she's my hero! lol However, I can't sell in pennsylvania, only in Ohio!
I can't even sell to people who will consume it in Pennsylvania, wish I could. As I get better at what I do my prices will no doubt go up from where they are now. I'm much more expensive than everyone where I am so I'm not trying to compete with them as it is..I'm raising the bar in my area believe it or not!

Anyhow, I didn't want to hijack this thread

OP, your cake is gorgeous!!! Don't assume people WON'T pay the same for that cake as they would from someone that's been doing it for 20 years because if our trained eyes on CC think it looks awesome, then the general public will be absolutely amazed by your talent!!!!!

quote a price you can live with, and if they freak out about it being TOO MUCH....tell them thanks anyhow! If they really want an awesome cake like that they'll pay what they have to pay to get it!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #67 of 74

Op- I love that cake. You're very talented. Join playgroups in your area- that way you can meet other moms to gripe to and possible customers for your cakes. Also the library always has story hour- good place to meet people and sometimes they have little parties for the kids- volunteer to make some cupcakes, etc advertise!! check on meetup.com and with your zip code it gives you a list of groups in your area.

Good luck.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:02pm
post #68 of 74

OP~ I Love the Lady Bug Cake.. Its so cute!!

The other day I was watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay.. And he challanged a Baker from Harlem to make her special German Choc Cake. I loved that episode just because of the History behind her shop.. She grew up in Harlem helping and watching her mom bake cakes for extra money. She went away to college and moved back home, bought an home across the street where she grew up at and then opened a shop across from that.. I loved the rich deep history that went along with her shop and made me want to jump in my car and drive to New York for cake.. icon_smile.gif

Anyhow, long story short. She now has two stores and serves "hundreds daily" thumbs_up.gif
Guess what I am trying to say is
We shouldn't sell ourselves short.. We never know what direction a little cake batter can take us.. thumbs_up.gif

You can read about her shop and history at this link. Make my Cake http://www.makemycake2.com/About%20us.html

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:36pm
post #69 of 74

[quote="KHalstead"]

I didn't include the cost for running the oven, but that is all subtracted with our taxes and I got the HOOK UP for cake boards! lol

She brings me literally 1,000s of cardboard circles in varying sizes.......from 3" rounds all the way up to 18" rounds.
I love the cardboard circles too, I use them when I roll out small bits of fondant and don't want to mess up the counter, so awesome. They're thinner than regular corrugated cake circles but stronger! They are corrugated, but it's a tighter corrugation, they rock! quote]

You could be my new bestest friend! ! ! ! ? ? ? LOL just kidding. You are very lucky to have hooked up with that.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:14am
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

it's not that I don't count all of that stuff, it's just too difficult to figure......

This statement says so much.

KHalstead Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:27pm
post #71 of 74

well Mensch, I'm talking about figuring it out for each individual order....it's definitely accounted for as well as the mileage to buy the stuff.........trust me I count everything.

I have separate cartons of eggs in my fridge and don't think I don't have them labeled "home use" and "TSS" for my bus. name....my family knows not to go near THOSE eggs! lol

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:58pm
post #72 of 74

Even though I make cakes and sometimes it takes me a long time I would never pay $50 or $75 for a 6" cake, I know I'm cheap LOL
Just wanted to add that I love your "Cakes for Christ" program" and I will keep this in mind when I open my business...
Sheila

KHalstead Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:52pm
post #73 of 74

thanks, and I'm cheap too........I can't afford my OWN cakes! lol

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #74 of 74

hahaha...thats life...I will call someone cheap if they not willing to pay so much for my cake. But, I also have to confess I wont pay so much either if it was me paying someone else for it...sighs...Life's irony

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%