Support Heavy Toppers And Separators?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 11:33am by applemint_jackie

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 4

I know this is probably a basic question, forgive me for asking but this is something I havent learned yet.

How do you support cake toppers? I have a cake topper to go on a buttercream frosted cake. The bottom of it is an odd shape. Do I cut a board for it or something? Maybe just some dowels? How many dowels should I use? Honestly if I didnt ask anyone I probably would just shove 3 or 4 dowels down in the center of the cake and let the topper sit on that, but I just dont want the cake to be cut into and everyone sees I did an unprofessional job. So what is the proper way to do this?

Also, I have seen people use candleholders as separators. How are these supported? They always look as if they are resting on the cake without a board. So maybe just use the dowels and set it on top? What if the bottom of it is concave (SP?), can it be used or must it be flat?

Like I said sorry Im sure this is basic, and honestly Im sure I could wing something, but I just dont want to do anything that doesnt appear to be professionally done.

3 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:07am
post #2 of 4

I generally cut a board to the exact size of the topper and support it with a few dowels or straws. Same with candlesticks.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:41am
post #3 of 4

same here a bord and dowels

applemint_jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applemint_jackie Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:33am
post #4 of 4

Excuse me, pls. What are candlesticks? Thnx.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%