Wedding Cake Tier Sizes

Decorating By pinkyEm Updated 18 Oct 2013 , 12:41pm by ddaigle

pinkyEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkyEm Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 11

I am having trouble coming up with cake sizes. The cake is to serve 30 people. The bride wants 2 or 3 tiers and wants them square. I was looking at a serving size chart and to only serve 30 people, it seems to me 3 tiers would be pretty small and funny looking. She wants to put flowers on the top and I'm thinking they would look better on 3 tiers and for only 30 people, a tier cake would look better. She wants 2 different kinds of cake so I have to do at least 2 tiers but I'm thinking maybe I should do one tier a dummy. What size square cakes would I make for 2 and 3 tiers without making too many extra servings. (She said she wants it to serve 30 but they think 20 to 24 people will show up.) They are not saving the top, they are serving the whole cake. Thanks for any help and/or opinions. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:22am
post #2 of 11

I think you might just have to sit the bride down and explain that there's no way for you to make a 2 tier cake that will only serve 30 people. If she wants a tiered cake, she is going to have to pay for it.

A 6" square feeds 18 and an 8" square feeds 32. So that's 50 slices between the two. Of course, these are wedding sized slices. So you could always explain that they could cut the slices bigger. But of course, they still have to pay for the 50 slices.

Even if you use a 6" dummy, she's still going to have to pay you to decorate the dummy. She might as well serve a real cake for as little as that's going to be.

pinkyEm Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 11

This is the exact thing that was going through my head when I was looking at the size chart. Maybe I could do an 8 inch and a cup cake for the top. lol
(I'm kidding)

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 11

You can do a "mini" cake...2 inch, 4 inch and 6 inch to give you enough servings yet the tiered look. I did this for an anniversary party recently and it was a hit. If she wants a bigger cake you could do a 4 inch, 6 inch and then make the bottom tier 8 inches...too much cake but a bit bigger.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:41am
post #5 of 11

You know .... I really just get sick of brides who try to dictate "I want a 5 tier cake to serve 20 people". Well guess what, chic? It ain't happenin'! icon_mad.gif And I've no problem telling them so.

I understand that 7 times out of 10, they really and sincerely don't understand it, but give me a freakin' break .... she's never been to a wedding and has never seen how freakin' BIG a multi-tiered cake is and how many people it's feeding at that event???

Ignorance I can deal with ... they just need educated. Stupidity makes my a$$ tired.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:14am
post #6 of 11

One 6" & one 8" square= 50 servings
50 servings x $5 slice = $250
50 servings / 30= 1.66
1.66 x $5 slice= $8.33 a slice
30 slices x $8.33=$250

Yes you can have a 2 tier cake that serves 30. It's $250, and you can slice it any way you want.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:08am
post #7 of 11

The only thing I think to watch out for about doing the exact servings and doing the mini is your minimum price point--be sure it's high enough.

Of course a 7x4 is a viable option for 30 servings too.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ignorance I can deal with ... they just need educated. Stupidity makes my a$$ tired.

You crack me up!! icon_lol.gif

pinkyEm Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone!!!

I kind of got screwed. Oh well, live and learn. As long as the next cake is not for my husband's boss, the answer will be no. lol

sandra05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandra05 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 11

AI'm having the same problem, making a two tier square cake for 30. What do I use a 6" and an "8 square?sorry, I"m confused!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 11

This cakulator will help you determining different sizes/servings. 

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cakulator.cgi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%