How To Charge For A Cake

Decorating By frenchymae Updated 26 Aug 2005 , 1:59am by gma1956

frenchymae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frenchymae Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 6

i know this has been probably been asked a 100 times but is there a way i can calculate how to charge for a cake rather than just a straigh fee

5 replies
melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 6

that is the age old question! honestly i still dont know about pricing. but there is a pricing matrix you can download from this site, its under the business section, go down a ways and you'll see something like "get your matrix here" post. i couldnt download it, but its because of my computer. good luck. another way to price cakes, which is what i use for now, is price the cake per cake box you use...like 1/4 cake uses one mix, so i charge $15 or so dollars (although i am going to raise it soon) then a 1/2 sheet would be $30.00 and so on. then you charge for extra stuff they want on it. i know those prices are low for some of you....but i'm just starting out and i went with the prices at the grocery store....like i said i will raise them soon.
good luck!
okay, did some thinking....thats too low, dont start off that low. but even if you did $20.00 per mix the math is still pretty simple. although i need to figure out how to download the matrix. my computer says its too big of a document to download...have to get hubby to figure that out.
i will read what everyone elses comments are too.....thanks
melody

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 6

IMO, a lot depends on the area you live in too ... some areas just can't charge as much as other areas do ... I'd do what melodycakes did and go to local bakeries and just price some cakes ... another thing you have to charge more for is fondant... now MMF (marshmallow fondant) if not expensive to make, but it does require more time to decorate a cake (or it does me icon_biggrin.gif)

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 12:55am
post #4 of 6

Some people figure their cost and then multiply by three-1 for your cost, 1 for your overhead, and 1 for your profit. This works well for your basic buttercream filling and icing cake. Any specialty items would add to the cost of the cake. HTH

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6

I have had a hard time coming up with a concrete method of calculating my prices too. What I did, is calculated all my ingredients & supplies (cake board, etc...), so I know exactly how much it costs me to make a cake, then I charge for my time, about 4$/hr. For example, it costs me about 12$ to make an 8" cake, and about 3 hours, so I charge 25$. It's not an exact method, really. I also called some specialty bakeries and asked their prices, so I am lower then them, but higher than the grocery stores. I asked how much this one specialty bakery charged for one fo those barbie doll cakes, and they START at 80$!! I figure my prices are more than fair. When I get better and more customers, I'll start charging more icon_razz.gif

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 1:59am
post #6 of 6

My regular occasion cakes start at 1.50 per serving. My wedding cakes start at 1.75 per serving. These are just plain janes, only buttercream iced and filled and a small amount of decoration. Anything other that adds to the base price. I have had no problem getting order either. I have so many irons in the fire that my time is very valuable and if they want a cake from me It does cost them more. But they are worth it. (even if I say so myself). I take special care and really give it my all when coming up with my cakes. Most are sculpted and special recipes etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%