How To Transport A Snowman Cake That Is Big? Please Help!

Decorating By jessica83 Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 2:37am by Cakerer

jessica83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica83 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:56am
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if someone could help me out? I need 2X2 servings out of a snowman cake and they want it single layer. I was thinking of using 12, 10, and 8 inch rounds, and a few cupcakes for snowflakes, but how can I transport it because I can not find a box big enough. Does someone know how to make their own boxes or any ideas?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 4

Home depot sells moving boxes in three sizes. They're strong enough for a stacked cake and the biggest size is $1.29. I put a piece of nonslip drawer liner in the box and then lower the cake into the box. The liner keeps it from shifting inside the box. I tell them to cut the box to get the cake out when they get to their destination.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 4

If you can find some card board large enough making a box is not hard. If I am reading you right, the cake will be 30 inches by 12 inches the size of the largest round. I imagine you will have some sort of board under it, that may be slightly larger than the 12 x 30 of the cake.

To make the box, measure in both directions, say you have one inch of the cake board showing all the way around the cake, so at it's widest point it is now 14 inches wide, and 32 inches high, long what ever you want to call it. Make your card board, 14 inches plus 6 inches,for a total of 20 inches wide, that will give you 3 inch sides, and 32 plus 6 inches for 38 inches long. Use a yard stick and mark the 3 inch sides on all 4 sides, cut a 3 inch slit on each corner 3 inchs in from the side.
This will become the support that you glue to the ends of the box. This is not very clear, I can see in my head but putting it into words isn't working so well. I hope you can get the idea of what I mean.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 4

I use a lot of rubbermaid containers for my longer cakes...like the underbed ones. However, if you do not have a van or SUV, transporting isn't always easy. Best of luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%