Using Self Rising Flour In Nfsc

Baking By dcanadaca Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 4:13am by dcanadaca

dcanadaca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcanadaca Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 4

By accident I bought self rising flour. I usually buy unbleached flour but this was unbleached but also self rising. I made a batch of NFSC today they seemed be rather flat looking and they also spread pretty badly. Does anyone know if the the flour would cause this or am I having additional problems getting them to hold their shape. I've been having problems with the spreading as well and I have read every thread on here about it. So today I thought I had everything going for me. No such luck.

3 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:14am
post #2 of 4

I used to have trouble with them spreading too, and then i read a thread where someone said they put only half the amount of baking powder, so that's what I do now and I'm much happier.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 4

Did you make the recipe as normal including adding salt and baking powder? If so, that's the problem, as self-rising flour already contains salt and baking powder. Omit those from the recipe and the self-rising should work better.

dcanadaca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcanadaca Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:13am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much prterrell. Yes I made it exactly the same and it did taste more salty. I will definitely make it next time with no baking powder and no salt and give that a try. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%