Should I Or Shouldn't I?....

Decorating By Ritakk Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm by TexasSugar

Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 9

I need some advice from all of you here on CC! Okay here's the scoop. I am almost 50 years old (lol). I have a full time (40/hr week) job. I have 4 daughters between my husband and I. NO Grandchildren! None are married. My youngest will graduate from HS this year. All of this is relevant in some way to my question.

I love doing photography, machine embroidery, and cake making/decorating.... icon_smile.gif

I just need to know if I can justify buying a Printer specially for printing edible images for the cakes I make?

I have only sold one cake so far. Made some for friends, my daughters, etc. for free! I had my local bakery print off an edible image for me and spent $6.00 on that! There is a printer on the Black Friday Sale for only $50.00 which I would use only for my cake images. My first set of cartridges would run me $72.00. But to get my frosting sheets, and bags, etc.... I would spend about 175.00 to 200.00 on everything I want to be prepared to make a cake at anytime without running to town. (I live 10 miles out of town in the country.)

I know my husband will probably throw a fit, so how can I justify this expenditure? LOL! I get a christmas bonus from work that is bormally 250.00 and am wanting to use this for my purchase.
I would like everyone's imput here please.

I am wanting to get the word out about my cake making and want to start making some money on the side... I guess I am just preparing myself for retirement in a way! icon_smile.gif LOL! Anyone else in my shoes? Thanks and sorry this was sooo long....
Rita

PS. Also I would like to know how the edible ink holds up if not used every day to print an edible image off. Will they get dried up and clogged? I did not have a printer cartridge cleaner in my estimate of spending above. How hard is it to clean myself without buying the steam cleaner?

8 replies
GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Rita,
I am also new to cake baking/decorating and only do cakes for friends and family. My family also throw fits everytime I buy something for my cakes so don't worry about your husban. I say you should go for it, like you said, you're close to retiring so might as well prepare yourself beforehand. I don't think $200 is alot, just think of it as an early christmans gift for yourself. I always buy myself something for x-mas, I work hard so I well deserve it, and you deserve it too.

Enjoy

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 9

I recently bought a printer, and use it all the time. I resisted for years, because I don't think doing a cake with en edible image (someone's pet or kidlet, etc) is art.

That said, I now do lots of cakes with images of pets and kids. Every time I take an order for one I feel like I just prostituted myself.

I also sell just the images to people who don't want a cake from me. It has turned into quite a lucrative income.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I recently bought a printer, and use it all the time. I resisted for years, because I don't think doing a cake with en edible image (someone's pet or kidlet, etc) is art.

That said, I now do lots of cakes with images of pets and kids. Every time I take an order for one I feel like I just prostituted myself.

I also sell just the images to people who don't want a cake from me. It has turned into quite a lucrative income.

I always felt the same way but selling EI is a great idea. My closest "local" grocery store that sells them is over 20 miles away and they charge $8 each. It would probably pay for itself in no time. Thanks for the idea, Mensch!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 9

If you can get one, get one. I wish my hubby would let me have one. For right now, I have to wait since I'm just as hobby baker as well. But one day - that will be the best thing since my Agbay!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 9

A friend of mine recently went through this dilemma but her purchase was the Cricut, not an edible printer. At first it was hard for her to justify the purchase to her hubby because all she knew was that it could cut gumpaste, but since she's gotten it she's found SO many uses for it - not just cake stuff - and she's already told me that she's getting so much more out of it than she ever thought. She's now cutting stencils, stamps, vinyl lettering, projects for her daughter's school assignments, so many things. That's actually what the Cricut is for, but she never thought she'd use it for those things. She's finding out that she really is!

If you can think outside the box a little bit you can probably pay for that printer in no time. As someone else mentioned, just selling edible images to people who don't want to drive 10 or 20 miles to the nearest grocery store is one way. You can package edible images for things like cupcakes and cookies. Put 12 holiday designs in a package and sell as a "cupcake kit", complete with instructions on how to apply the images to cupcakes. Ditto with cookies.

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 9

I think you should spend the money on the prrinter and edible image supplies if that is what you want. I have had my edible printer for two years a christmas gift from my husband along with all the supplies. My husband likes using the printer more than i do, but It's worth it. I have not had to replace my cartridge yet getting close to replacement but they last unless you are printing images all the time. All i can say is that was the best investment my husband made. People see the cakes with the images and they are amazed that you can use edible ink.

Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the input everyone.. and I really never thought about selling just a printed image either! Duh! Okay, so you all have just about talked me into buying the printer! I hope I can get there in time to get one! And I think you all are right! I deserve it! I will get lots more use out of it rather than a cake occasionally as I could sell the images! and evenutally when I decide I do not need a full time job, I can dive right in! :0 ) Thanks everyone! Now my next question... gotta find some pricing for all of this! Have a great Weekend!
Rita

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 9

I would think about how many times you wished you had the printer. I always say the same thing when it comes to the airbrush purchases too. If you had alot of cakes that you could have or would have used the printer on if you had one then it would be a good purchase.

One thing about the printer is that you want to use it or atleast run a test print through it often, other wise your ink clogs and dries up on you. I got one years ago, used it a few times then it got pushed aside. Just recently bought some more ink for it and am trying to get it to work again.

I know there are some people that use theirs often, so it all depends on your style or cakes and how many times you would use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%