Edible Images On Cookies

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 3:53am by BeeBoos-8599_

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,
I am making sugar cookies this week and putting edible images of a large 30 on them. I have never used one (E.I's) before and wanted to get some input on what icing you would reccomend to put on the cookies prior to adding the images. I thought about using the cookie icing recipe that is in the wilton books. It goes on very smooth and dried firm (allmost like using color flow). If I use it should I apply the image immediately after putting the icing on and before it crusts? Any input would be appreciated. THANKS!

14 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 15

I put fondant on my cookis and it just seems real quick & esy compared to icing. I've never done an edible image before, but I know I've read on here that people have put them both on RI & fondant.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 15

I had success putting them on fondant with a lightly brushed layer of corn syrup. I then turn them over to dry flat. It takes a good few hours before I feel comfortable putting decorations with royal icing on them.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 15

I did not realize that this thread posted twice but oh well lol. Anyway, I cant use fondnat. Client does not like it. Any thoughts on which icing?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 15

I'm sure you can attach them to royal icing, while the icing is still wet.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 15

Use royal icing, make it thin enough to paint brush on. Brush on the icing and then immediately place the images on. The images will harden with the royal icing that way. Be sure to smooth the image out with your finger, but be sure it is dry so it doesnt smear the image.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:26am
post #7 of 15

I put a VERY thin pc. of fodant just slightly mositened (I use a damp paper towel). Work great!

They look very professional with a white border around the pic.

Jen icon_smile.gif

tracienvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracienvegas Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 15

I attach them with melted white chocolate. It doesn't change the color and it taste really good.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #9 of 15

I use royal icing-antonia's from this site, be sure to add about 2tsp flavoring to it. I spread really thin with an offset spatula, then immediately place the ei on and smooth lightly with my finger. Very fast, dries really fast because the icing is so thin. I usually do a coordinating border around the edges.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks for the input, the only thing I am still not getting is does the image stay in sheet form or does it melt into the icing? I would hate for them to bite into one and have the image come off. By the way, I cant use fondant. Client does not care for it.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 15

The thin white chocolate sounds the best to me. The image will form to the chocolate. If you use the royal icing, it also melts in to the royal icing. Either one will allow the image to fully merge so you shouldnt have that worry. The only time the image doesnt melt in is if the icing is not wet enough.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Hi,
I am making sugar cookies this week and putting edible images of a large 30 on them. I have never used one (E.I's) before and wanted to get some input on what icing you would reccomend to put on the cookies prior to adding the images. I thought about using the cookie icing recipe that is in the wilton books. It goes on very smooth and dried firm (allmost like using color flow). If I use it should I apply the image immediately after putting the icing on and before it crusts? Any input would be appreciated. THANKS!

I don't put any icing under the EI. I let the cookie cool, then brush a thin layer of corn syrup or piping gel and put the image down. I put a border around it with RI. Let dry overnight and package them. The EI is your frosting!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 15

I made some sugar and chocolate cookies for my nephew's birthday and I put EI on it for frosting I use RI HTH and don't worry the EI won't come off

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 15

I smear the cookie lightly with a thin layer of butter cream frosting.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:53am
post #15 of 15

Just a follow up in case anyone else has this question.
I tried it 2 ways and this one was the most effective.
I used the poured icing recipe from the Wilton yearbook and immediately after applying the icing I took the image and brushed the back of it with a pasty brush that was just slightly damp. I layed it on the icing and it immediataly melded into the icing leaving no hard edge.
The 2nd method was using the same icing but I left the backs of the images dry. They did stick and when eaten they did not peel away from the icing BUT they still sit ontop of the icing and you could really see the edges of the images.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%