Kansas Home Bakery ?

Business By elizacake Updated 20 Mar 2014 , 5:49pm by Zimba

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 7

I'm in Olathe, KS. Am looking into doing cakes from my home. Called the Dept of Ag, spoke with Melinda. She said the same as other people have said here, that as long as you are selling directly to individuals and not using any potentially hazardous ingrediemts (ei, cream, cream cheese, custard, meringue) that you do not have to have a license. Yippppeeee!

I also called the Johnson Co DOH and they were unhelpful. They didn't know where to send me. I know I would have to license my business for tax purposes, but that's about it.

Anyone from JOCO and know whom I should contact at the DOH or city to find my answers? It's looking good...keeping fingers crossed!
Thanks in advance!

6 replies
CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 7

Not in Johnson County, sorry. But be sure to check with your city, too, and make sure there aren't any zoning requirements against home bakeries. That can be a hiccup in Kansas too.

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 7

Good call about the city. Spoke with someone in zoning. Bakeries are not on the approved home business list at this time. He did tell me that they are looking at amending the list to include catering and such...
He did tell me "I can't give you permission, but as long as you are following the other home business rules (customers by appointment only...not lots of traffic in and out of your home, etc.) we won't shut you down. If a neighbor happened to complain...we would come out and shut you down."
So I guess I'll get lobbying the city to allow bakeries!

Next stop for questions...JOCO environmental dept....

leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:04am
post #4 of 7

Just wondering if you ever found out any more information to share. I'm in KS too.

dmorrow78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmorrow78 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 7

I talked to the Dept. of Agr. yesterday and they said the same thing the OP posted....it is 100% legal. The lady did not refer me on to any other numbers, she just said it was legal. Not sure if that is what you were asking....

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 7

Wichita is the same if you sell to individuals icon_smile.gif

Zimba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zimba Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 7

What do you mean it is the same in Wichita?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%