Red Gumpaste ?'s

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to be making some poinsettias. Which would be the best way to get the red I need.....coloring the gumpaste with red coloring, or first mxiing the gumpaste with red (purchased) fondant? And will the fondant/gumpaste mixture be strong enough to hold for the poinsettia bracts?

6 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 7

I've never made pointsettas, but I think the 50/50 would hold fine. I do 50/50 for almost everything now...

Also, I prefer to paint my gumpaste/fondant mixture. Kneading it in is tedious. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 7

I have an airbrush......never thought of just painting them...I will go find my dunce hat once again. Thanks!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 7

Don't know if you have seen this tutorial...its on making pointsettia's!
http://www.anarka.dk/kager/julestjernetut.html

Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 7

Sherry - thank you very much for posting that! No, I had not seen it, and I looked all day yesterday at different poinsettia stuff. I have ordered the cutters I think I will need, and a veiner - hopefully they will turn out nice - I really want this cake to be spot on.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 7

I would air brush them red after the leaves dry. I did a flower similar for a wedding in October and that was the only way I could get that bright red color.

Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 7

I have already figured out that is what I will do. I even bought a big bottle of red red airbrush color today along with the cutters and veiner. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%