Can We Make Color Flow Icing Without The Wilton Color Flow M

Baking By swapnilgupta Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 5:42am by swapnilgupta

swapnilgupta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swapnilgupta Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:16am
post #1 of 5

hi

is there any recipe for making color flow recipe without the wilton mix.
any help is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
swapnil

4 replies
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:50am
post #2 of 5

You can use diluted Royal icing - I do it all the time, but it has less sheen than colorflow.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:04am
post #3 of 5

I used Scott Woolley's method and was pleased with the results.
Mix a recipe of royal icing and reserve at least 1/2 C. for piping the outlines.In a medium bowl, stir in water slowly until it liquifies. (To check, drizzle a spoonful back into the bowl. If the line of icing takes longer than 3 seconds to vanish, it is too thick.) Adjust with a few drops of water and check again.
Let it sit for 10-15 min to allow the bubbles to rise. Pop them with a sweep of a paintbrush.
To outline, use tip #1 for lettering and delicate shapes and #2 or #3 for larger pieces.
Be sure all corners are closed to hold in the flowed sugar. Let outline dry for 5 min before flowing.

Before flowing, stir in 1/4 t. Cream of tartar to speed drying. (It generally takes 24 hrs to dry, up to twice as long for larger pieces.
Apply the liquified sugar with a paint brush, rolling the handle to keep from dripping. Allow the sugar to run down the brush to fill in a section. Tease edges to the piped outline with the bristles. (I use a toothpick for delicate areas, and also to pop any bubbles before it sets.)
After thoroughly dry, peel gently from waxed paper.

You can see this in my photos in the Little Einstein cake. I just drew them freehand on paper and placed and taped it under a sheet of waxed paper. (I made two sets to allow for breakage. None broke, but the birthday girl loved eating the spares!)

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 5

I just did that tonight milkmaid. I have color flow mix but my image is small and I didn't want to waste the confectioner's sugar (or time) making color flow icing. Royal icing works just as well.

swapnilgupta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swapnilgupta Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone.I am currently in US but will be returning to my home country India soon so was wondering how to make color flow if the wilton product is not available.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%