How Would You Do This Rose Tier ?

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm by anabelz01

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:40am
post #31 of 45

I have trouble believing it actually took that long to make that many petals...Am I the only person who thinks they might be exaggerating a wee bit? It would take a long time to make that many peatls, but not 32 hours, and the only other part that would take any amount of time would be the sticking-them-into-the-cake part. Again, I don't see how this would add up to 32 hours...

Was this more than one tier? That might explain some of the time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I have trouble believing it actually took that long to make that many petals.... It would take a long time to make that many peatls, but not 32 hours,

The previous post said it took 4 people 2 days to make the cake ..... I assume that's the whole process, not just the petals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

Well, I found a post from a magazine that this cake was featured in. It said it took 4 people 2 days to make this cake!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:00am
post #33 of 45

Yes I'm with Czarina and Indy Indy

I mean I made 900 hydrangea blossoms in a coupla different sizes--with a coupla different techniques--that I sorta made up with the tools I had on hand, cut 'em, thinned the edges, used the ball tool, I had to pinch off one petal 'cause I only had cutters that made five petal flowers, texture the blossoms and spray 'em with pearl dust spray--

So while roses obviously are different flowers, it's the same basic techniques--and it's only the petals--not full blown roses. So yeah I mean I wasn't braggin' earlier when I said I was sure I could do it faster. I'm very sure I can do it faster.

And I'm not a gum paste flower guru by any means. If you just stand there & do it like you wanna get done you can make a ton of one piece flowers/petals in no time. Seriously--get a little rythm going and away you go into flowal lala land.

And thankfully I've talked myself out of making a similar cake for my kid--whew--close call icon_biggrin.gif Besides I got jury duty too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #34 of 45

Yeah, but still, 32 hours? I was thinking of the whole process, baking etc. It had better have been more than a one-tiered cake to take 32 hours. The time-heavy tasks would be making the petals and sticking them on the cake, the baking wouldn't be that much relatively.

Sometimes the amount of time people report for cakes just seems really exaggerated to me. Unless they're working reaaallly slowly, this particular cake wouldn't seem to me to have taken that long, even for the entire process.

I'm not saying that I'm volunteering to make one to try out my theory! icon_wink.gif I still think it would be tedious and tremendously boring to make that many rose petals, but I don't think it would take me that long to make that many of them.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:03am
post #35 of 45

I could name that tune single handed in two days easy peasy from flour to delivery.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:46am
post #36 of 45

I was thinking the same thing when I read that it took that long. I can make rose petals pretty quick, I mean there is nothing to it. Its a cutter, a go round with the ball tool and roll under the edge with a toothpick.

I think this was only one tier. It was on a table scapes page, like a center piece on the table. If you look at the picture you can see that it doesnt look like a very big cake. You can see the candles and other junk on the table around it.

It was a Ben Israel cake too so it probably was 45.00 a serving.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:52am
post #37 of 45

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/09/back_to_school_bells_are_ringi.html
Since Betty initiated me to the secrets of making sugar roses, here is the biggest one I've made. It's actually a domed cake, decorated with hundreds of individual petals. Once the cake is cut, each guest gets a petal along the slice on the plate.
(The original version appeared in InStyle Weddings magazine.)
Posted by: Ron Ben-Israel | September 16, 2007 1:41 PM
-----
http://www.weddingcakes.com/images/cake2copy.jpg

ttehan4 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:29pm
post #38 of 45

Thanks 7yyrt

Those are awesome links.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:27pm
post #39 of 45

I keep trying to find a side picture, but no luck yet.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

Well, I found a post from a magazine that this cake was featured in. It said it took 4 people 2 days to make this cake! Holy Cow. What should I charge..hmmm. Now its really got me thinking. It wont be cheap thats for sure!

wow, I hope the bride has the budget for that, you should charge at least $1500 for that tier, and then remember to charge her for the rest of the cake too.

I'm being completely serious about that price too, I might even charge more, that is a lot of petals that all need to be individually rolled, cut, wired, veined, and painted.

Someone mentioned that the petals are huge so you may even need to find larger cutters than you already have or even make them. I know once you get in a groove you will probably pump them out pretty fast but the price still stands even if you can make them all in a few hours. You are an artist not a production rose petal factory.

I'm with Indy, at least $1000.

ttehan4 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #41 of 45

Ive searched for a side view too. No luck. I wonder if Ben-Israel would email a picture.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

I'm being completely serious about that price too, I might even charge more, that is a lot of petals that all need to be individually rolled, cut, wired, veined, and painted.

Someone mentioned that the petals are huge so you may even need to find larger cutters than you already have or even make them.

Just use a circle cutter icon_biggrin.gif and dry in Easter Egg trays. I wouldn't be wiring them though if I were attempting it. I wouldn't want to poke all those wires in my cake.

Mordechai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mordechai Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:38am
post #43 of 45

From Ron Ben-Israel's Face Book page:

www.facebook.com/RBICAKES
LL
LL
LL

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%