The Cake Was Spoiled & Made My Family Sick!!! Long

Lounge By KKC Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm by indydebi

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 31

Some of you may remember me telling a story awhile back about my aunts close friend that bakes cakes...she doesn't decorate, just basically do small layer cakes, poundcakes etc...

Anyway, she don't really like me because I wouldn't help her decorate a cake she volunteered me for awhile back....so ever since then she's been real nasty towards me. She tries to talk smack about my cakes everytime someone mentions how nice my work is...blah blah blah!

Well, my aunt is a Cosmetologist and she did her hair, but the lady never paid my aunt (SHE ONLY OWED HER $15.00)...fast forward to a few days later...she made a German Chocolate cake for this guy but she couldn't get in contact with him to pick up the cake. So she called my aunt and asked her if she can give her the cake in exchange for the money she owed BUT SHE WANTED ME AUNT TO GIVE HER THE DIFFERENCE OF $20.00 icon_eek.gif (SHE WAS GOING TO CHARGE THE GUY $35.00 FOR THE CAKE). How on earth are you going to try and get money from someone who u owe in the first place. icon_confused.gif So she sends the cake in with her daughter...when my aunt opened the box all of the Coconut pecan frosting was at the bottom of the box and the top of the cake was smashed as if someone put something on top of the box. My aunt went outside to tell her that the cake was messed up and that the icing was all on the bottom...she said that maybe the cake was still warm when she put the icing on.

Ok so the lady leaves and everyone dives into the cake...and everyone notices it has a funny taste (well maybe she used a special ingredient to make hers unique) icon_surprised.gif And not to mention she used the *moderator edited* dang canned frosting on the cake. About an hour or so later, my 9 year old cousin starts vomitting, my aunt all of a sudden has bubble guts icon_redface.gif My aunt calls and asks her what went wrong with the cake and she finally admitted to my aunt that she left the cake in the car the night before and she didn't remember she left in there until the next morning but she still left the cake in the car until she left work (8 hours later) icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_mad.gif Now we live in MIami and its hot as hell here. She actually thought it was funny too...had she sold that cake to that man it wouldn't have been a laughing matter for her. Who in their right mind would leave a cake in the car all those hours and expect it to be ok to sell? There are so many eggs in German Chocolate cake, as well as buttermilk and butter. My cousn had to stay home from school tday because she was not feeling well.

This lady is so money hungry that she don't really care about the product she sends out. This is something that people are going to eat the least she could've did was tell my aunt up front that the cake had been sitting in the car for a long time. I guess she lives by the motto "Money talks, bull*moderator edited* walks" thumbsdown.gif

30 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 31

Wow. That woman certainly sounds like a piece of work!! icon_confused.gif

I'm sorry that your family got sick because of it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 31

Wow...she is lucky no one is going sue her ...Yet! Gross misconduct.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 31

oh my... i hope your aunt gets wise to her.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 31

Me personally I would go after this woman and make she she soes not sell cakes to anyone else!

What else has she done regarding cakes that she thinks is "funny"??? Maybe dropped one on the floor or used ingredients that were well past expiry date???

So sorry your family got sick...and to me tats no laughing matter.

Since she openly admitted that she left the cake in the car over night and for an additional 8 hours while she was at work (in Miami no less) I would say that it's a slam dunk to get her for time off of work, pain and suffering etc...

Wow very scary to know there are home bakers out there that are that are that uneducated to put a persons well being at risk!

Good luck hope the family feels better soon!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 31

wait a minute...you mentioned you all got sick an hour after eating the cake? when i took the Servsafe class awhile back, one of the first things the instructor told us was that food poisoning cannot occur in that short amount of time so at least you know it wasn't that! you all probably just had a bad reaction to all that curdled buttercream, yuk!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 31

she definatly is a peice of work.... and that gives the good guys (that would be us icon_smile.gif) a bad name..... so i think we should put out a bulleton on this lady!

ATTENTION CAKE BUYERS!!

WE ARE NOT ALL IDIOTS! JUST THIS WOMAN!
SOME OF US KNOW THAT A CAKE IN A CAR FOR 8 HOURS IS NOT GOOD!
AND MY NUMBER IS xxxxxxx!

lol hope that gets thier attention icon_smile.gif

KKC Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

wait a minute...you mentioned you all got sick an hour after eating the cake? when i took the Servsafe class awhile back, one of the first things the instructor told us was that food poisoning cannot occur in that short amount of time so at least you know it wasn't that! you all probably just had a bad reaction to all that curdled buttercream, yuk!

Whatever it was, made my family sick. I just don't understand who would "sell" someone a cake that has been sitting in he car so long!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 31

if she is selling cakes, is she licensed?
id feel funny about reporting someone, but, she (pressumably, unless you all ate something else together) made you sick, knowing her product was unlikely to be safe to eat. (if she didnt know, she needs to learn!). maybe she is better with real customers, maybe not, but she took a risk, and you suffered from it. id be mad!
xx

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 31

I'd report her nasty ass in a heartbeat if she does indeed sell cakes. Quicker than a kittens whisker if she is licensed. Would you think twice about reporting the Jack in The Box down the street if the manager said "Oh golly gee-heh heh, we left the buttermilk sauce outside all day, shucks, sorry it made you vomit"!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 31

Actually, you can get sick right away from food poisoning. I'm servesafe certified as well as further certs. You can get sick actually very quickly or even within 7 days after eating a contaminated item. The good thing about getting sick earlier is that it nails you and then you are done. (Not that that's really a good thing because you still feel like tapedshut.gif for a while after). When it takes days that's when it is building stronger in your intestines and oh baby watch out.
She should be punished for this. What if someone ate the cake with a compromised immune system, it could have killed them. For her to knowingly do this just astonishes me. What a horrible person!
At least have your aunt report it so then the HD will have to look into her.

KKC Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:03am
post #12 of 31

To answer your questions...Yes she sells cakes and no she's not licensed! This is just her hustle on the side. She basically forces her cakes on people. One day while in my aunts hair salon, one of her customers mentioned that she was having a bday party for her daughter and she just came right out and said, "Why don't u get a cake from me, what kind of cake do you want?" So the lady said, "oh Sheila's niece (thats me) is making the cake for me"...I swear to you she rolled her eyes so hard I thought they were gonna get stuck lol!

Whats sad is that the cake was originally for someone else but he flaked on her...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:23am
post #13 of 31

I don't doubt your story, but I don't understand how the cake itself could have been spoiled from heat.....or the canned icing???

I'm trying to figure out which part of the cake could have gone bad in a hot car... German chocolate cake is...well...cake....and cake can't go bad in heat overnight can it? And the canned icing, well I thought that stuff had so many chemicals in it nothing could grow! haha.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:28am
post #14 of 31

Yeah even though cake has buttermilk, eggs and butter, etc., it's cooked.

I'd have to agree that unless the cake had a custard or mousse type filling I doubt that leaving it in a hot car overnight caused it to spoil....what's to spoil? icon_confused.gif

I'd be willing to bet the vomiting and stomach upset could be a bit of the flu that's hitting this country from coast to coast.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #15 of 31

I'm a food microbiology major, and there could very well have been germs on the surface of the cake. In the hot weather, those germs could easily multiply, and depending on the type of organism(s) could have produced toxins.

It's those toxins that could make you sick very quickly. There is a difference between food intoxication and food poisoning. Food intoxication means you got sick from a toxin the organism(s) produced, and food poisioning means you got sick because the organism is multiplying inside YOU.

HTH!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #16 of 31

I am a nurse, and have taken care of plenty of people who got food poisoning within an hour or two. The length of time it takes someone to get sick is dependent on the particular organism they are infected by. All the eggs in the frosting alone = UGH! All I think of is they use albumin (from eggs) to culture viruses in to make vaccines, such as the flu shot!

Kitagrl Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:47am
post #17 of 31

Wouldn't everybody have gotten sick?

MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

I'm a food microbiology major, and there could very well have been germs on the surface of the cake. In the hot weather, those germs could easily multiply, and depending on the type of organism(s) could have produced toxins.

It's those toxins that could make you sick very quickly. There is a difference between food intoxication and food poisoning. Food intoxication means you got sick from a toxin the organism(s) produced, and food poisioning means you got sick because the organism is multiplying inside YOU.

HTH!

Thought I'd bring this over to page 2. icon_cool.gif

KKC Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:52am
post #19 of 31

She left it in the car overnight (maybe not so bad)...BUT when she got to work the next day, she still had it in the car while she worked for 8 hours...we still have summertime heat in Miami. My granny makes German chocolate cakes all the time and they would spoil if left out too long (trust me I know from experience icon_redface.gif) just like any other food.

I don't think it was the flu...BUT, does that excuse the fact that she left the cake in the car OVERNIGHT...PLUS THE THE EXTRA 8 HOURS WHILE SHE WAS AT WORK??? Would any of you guys do that and then sell it to someone? Or would you laugh at the fact that you knowingly left ANY KIND OF FOOD in a hot a$$ car and then KNOWINGLY sold it?

KKC Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:58am
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Wouldn't everybody have gotten sick?

The only folks that ate the cake were my aunt, my cousin and my granny tasted a little piece (she's the German Chocolate cake expert icon_lol.gif )...she took like 2 or 3 small bites and said, "This cake is no good, it's spoiled".

I feel really bad for my cousin because she took a big chunk of that cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:00am
post #21 of 31

She probably made a fresh cake for the customer after she forgot it in the car, and then decided to try to make a little money off of the disaster cake by passing it off to your aunt.

My husband got food poisoning once from a pecan pie that had been sitting out all day...not homemade but commercially made by a place that doesn't refrigerate them. He was sick as a dog from it.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:04am
post #22 of 31

Nope I sure would'nt ! That's nasty I would'nt eat anything that's been sitting in a car over night and all day in the MIAMI HEAT . I totally agree with you . She should have admitted she made a mistake and gave this hair dresser { ur aunt } the money she owes her and take THAT CAKE SHE LEFT LIKE 20 HRS IN THE CAR back to her own home ,,slice that bad boy up and eat it ! lol . NOT ------- icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:07am
post #23 of 31

I suppose its possible the cake could have been even older than what she was saying too...like sat out for a couple of days and THEN sat melting in the car.

Yuck.

That's so weird that she actually took money for it. Some people have no ethics.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:22am
post #24 of 31

First thought that came to my mind...and please don't verbally beat me up for this...is because she has a jealousy issue and seems vindictive...did she do this on purpose?

Was her no show "client" made up or for real?

I would definately call the HD and pass her name on to them

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:49am
post #25 of 31

Report her.

Then go and beat her up.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:19am
post #26 of 31

You need to report her to the health dept. That's exactly what they're there for. I hope you all feel better soon!

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:06pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Report her.

Then go and beat her up.

I agree. Let me know if you need help! icon_wink.gif

Gail

KKC Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:44pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

She probably made a fresh cake for the customer after she forgot it in the car, and then decided to try to make a little money off of the disaster cake by passing it off to your aunt.

I think so too because she is very money hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I suppose its possible the cake could have been even older than what she was saying too...like sat out for a couple of days and THEN sat melting in the car.

Probably, no one ever asked her when exactly did she make the cake. But that would make sense that she made it probably a few days before she actually sold it to my aunt...Good point, I'm going to tell my aunt to ask her about this thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

First thought that came to my mind...and please don't verbally beat me up for this...is because she has a jealousy issue and seems vindictive...did she do this on purpose?

Was her no show "client" made up or for real?

I would definately call the HD and pass her name on to them

She is definately jealous and vindictive, I told my aunt that I'm going to report her and of couse my aunt being the clueless person that she is tried to talk me out of it...Are u serious? icon_confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Then go and beat her up.

That thought has definately crossed my mind icon_lol.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:51am
post #29 of 31

If this lady is nutty enough to think that leaving the cake in her car for 20 hours is okay, who knows what her level of cleanliness is? Her judgement is OFF.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #30 of 31

PLEASE tell us you've reported her!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%