Poured Fondant And Candy W/luster Dust Question?

Decorating By calynmom Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 12:59am by calynmom

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone,

I am using the eagle, globe and anchor mold for the Marine Corps Birthday Ball cake I am doing next weekend. I have been playing around with several types of ways to do the mold. Gumpaste is ok and I've even used candy melts. But I'm looking for a cleaner more detailed look.

If I used poured fondant would it be to hot for the mold. ?

Also, If I use the candy mold will the Gold luster dust stick well on it.???

I've never used luster dust on candy before and wondered how it would turn out.

thanks for any help.

6 replies
pati3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pati3 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

I use luster dust quite often on chocolate, just use a little brush and scrub it in. It works well on white chocolate or a darker color works well on milk chocolate. I would suggest trying it on a "throw away" piece to make sure it is what you want. It is usually a mess for me, but I like the result. Good luck, sounds like a complicated project. I would love to see pictures.

calynmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Pati3...good to know it should work on the chocolate. Hopefully somebody can help me with the poured fondant idea.

calynmom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 7

I'm trying to bump this for some more responses.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 7

I can't help with the poured fondant but I did have a terrible time on white chocolate. I tried just gold luster and it didn't show up well so I mixed with vodka and I think I kept messing up my painting consistency or the chocolate was melting. I don't know, where the chocolate was firm and smooth, the paint seemed to bubble and evaporate but where it seemed to melt it was sticking but clumpy. Good luck I'd love to know what finally works for you!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 7

I just tried poured fondant to cover spherical rounds for ornaments - I can't imagine that it would set up and hold detailed shape. I think chocolate or candy melts would be your best bet if you don't want gumpaste. I did the Army insignia from First Impressions in gumpaste and then in chocolate. The gumpaste gave sharper details by far, and I was able to paint it with gold luster dust and vodka - great results (but no pic icon_cry.gif )

calynmom Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #7 of 7

thanks for the responses. Well the poured fondant did not work. Like Ibmoser said it didn't hold it's shape at all. I did gumpaste and that was easier to use but wasn't as sharp in the detail. The candy melts worked great and now I'm trying to put the gold luster on...It's taking several layers but shaping up nicely. I have also ordered some gold luster spray in a can and hopefully that will be here by next friday.

Ibmoser:I'm doing the eagle globe and anchor and I think if the mold was a little deeper on the wings and such it would be more detailed. I'll send you a pic when I get the whole thing done next saturday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%