Cake Filling Question

Decorating By richnangela Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 11:38pm by crazydoglady

richnangela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
richnangela Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 12

I tried to make my own raspberry filling and it did not turn out well. I don't have a lot of time to start all over. Is there any reason I can't use either strawberry or raspberry preserves as a cake filling???

11 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 12

I do it, but some others do not like to. I think the reasoning is that it could seep into the cake, or it does not stay a vivid color; not important for my family cakes but I could see where you would not want that for a wedding cake, or one you sell.

Usually, I will mix the jam/preserves into some buttercream, then add a few drops of the same flavor LorAnn flavoring and use that as a filling. The jam doesn't seep into the cake that way. I never paid attention to the color so I cannot say if it turns a color. Everyone always likes it though.

richnangela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
richnangela Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 12

It's for my first real client. I don't have the Lorann flavorings you mentioned. I want it to taste good and the raspberry filling I made is really sour and not very good. And I think it would seap into the cake. I thought the preserves would hold up better b/c they're thicker. I'm at a real loss here to know what to do. I always just do a layer of buttercream as my filling. I'm really getting panicky now.

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 12

Buttercream Icing Ingredients:
1-1/4 pound powdered sugar
1/2 cup pasteurized egg whites, room temperature
2 Tbsp vanilla
2 pounds unsalted butter, room temperature

Instructions:
In mixer bowl, combine sugar, egg whites and vanilla.

Mix on low speed to combine then increase speed to high and mix for 10 minutes to build volume.

Reduce speed to medium, and slowly add soft butter and beat an additional 5 to 10 minutes until full volume is reached.

Raspberry Cream Filling:
Mix 1/3 seedless raspberry jam with 2/3 prepared Buttercream Icing.

Chocolate Cream Filling:
Mix equal parts melted dark chocolate and prepared Buttercream Icing.
this one is very good.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 12

is your customer wanting just raspberry or just strawberry filling? If not, then mix the preserves into your regular buttercream (I do half and half ratio) it's soooooooooooo good, my best selling filling (I call it "raspberry cream filling") next to my cheesecake mousse.

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 12

cheesecake mousse sounds very good do u mind give that recipe please.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 12

I use canned cherry pie fillings in my cakes sometimes.

I'm sure you could do the same with strawberry. I puree it, mix with some buttercream, and fill. Don't forget to make a dam around the edges.

hth

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 12

Raspberries are sour, did you add sugar? I also add RB flavoring when cooking the sauce

Britt-K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britt-K Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 12

Go to the wilton website and search for fruit filling. I've used their recipe multiple times and had good reviews.

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 12

I was trying to think of a good filling. I think I'm going to mix strawberry jam/perserves with BC and try that. Sounds good. Does the cake need to be refrigerated?

KHalstead, can you share your cheesecake mousse recipe? That sounds good.

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 12

I use often use apricot preserves with my vanilla cakes...it's most often everyone's favorite. I've never experienced any bleeding. I've only used strawberry or raspberry in chocolate cakes...so if there was bleeding then, you couldn't tell...lol!

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 12

i use emeril's recipe for raspberry filling. i just did a birthday cake this morning for a friend's birthday and when the cake was cut, the filling was beautiful and even - absolutely no bleeding.

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/35/raspberry-filling

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%