Failed Nfsc!

Baking By sarag30 Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm by MichelleM77

sarag30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarag30 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #1 of 12

Hi! I am new to cc tonight I tried to make the NFSC, but failed! I do not know were I went wrong. My cookie dough looks more like sand and is not sticky enough to shape. Any ideas?
Thanks

11 replies
CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 12

I've had this happen before where it's too dry. I actually hold back about 1/2 cup of the dry ingredients from every recipe.

But for what you have made, try adding more butter to see if it moistens up.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:58am
post #3 of 12

This is a recipe that definitely requires that you NOT scoop the flour with the measuring cup. Otherwise, you get too much flour, and the dough is way too dry. Adding extra butter and maybe a little water should fix it. I weigh my flour, and have never had a problem with the recipe.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:50am
post #4 of 12

redpanda...how much should it weigh?

I've been wanting to try this recipe.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:07am
post #5 of 12

I use the conversion of 1 cup=4.4 ounces by weight. I've seen as much as 4.5 ounces per cup, too.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 12

OK...thanks.

sarag30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarag30 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks I'll try adding more butter. I need to start weighing instead of using a cup. I feel like I am never really getting the right amount.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 12

I use a sugar cookie recipe similar to this and I never use the entire 6 cups of flour. My recipe says to use just enough flour to make a firm dough so I end up using about five to five and a half cups.

Amifsud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amifsud Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 12

Try this, when measuring your flour spoon it into your measuring cup, then take a knife to even out the top. I make this recipe exactly as is two or three times a week and have never had a problem. If you were putting the measuring cup into the flour bag to scoop out the flour you are using too much flour. Also it does look a little crumbly when done mixing the flour but then i just pour it out on to a silpat and work it for about 20 to 30 second and wrap it in celophane and chill for a while. it comes out perfect everytime.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 12

when i make the NFSC which i do all the time! I don't even measure the flour LOL I just take a cup or two and mix in my other dry ingredients to it, add that and then continue adding flour until I have the right consistency.......................probably not a good rule of thumb but it works for me!

(the longer I bake the more I realize my recipes are turning into my grandmother's..."add flour til it looks right, add enough so it looks good, etc." lol

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

when i make the NFSC which i do all the time! I don't even measure the flour LOL I just take a cup or two and mix in my other dry ingredients to it, add that and then continue adding flour until I have the right consistency.......................probably not a good rule of thumb but it works for me!

(the longer I bake the more I realize my recipes are turning into my grandmother's..."add flour til it looks right, add enough so it looks good, etc." lol

This made me laugh - I'm starting to do the same thing! I just made shortbread dough and never even pulled out a measuring spoon!! It's funny how much you can 'eyeball' after you've been doing this a while.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 12

Yep, agree to weigh flour if you can.

Add a little bit of liquid to your dry dough and it should fix it (tablespoon at a time; shouldn't take much).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%