A Story Of A Disaster Turned...spooky

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm by vagostino

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 10

My mom is also a hobby cake decorator. For my dad's birthday, she wanted to make him a beer mug cake. Well, she baked that morning, used box mixes, and had all kinds of hair-pulling problems. By the time I showed up (I was visiting my grandparents, since my grandfather recently came home from a week-long stay in the hospital), the cake was leaning, kind of squished down, and she was ready to throw the whole thing out.

Then I got a good look at it and said, "Mom, you can make it look like a mummy!" After finding some more white fondant, and her dark chocolate fondant, we got to work. I made eyes and teeth from the dark choc. fondant (what mummy has pearly whites after that long? And it was the right color for the "eyes" making them look like empty sockets) and she was adding strips of white fondant for the bandages.

I really wish I had pictures for ya'll, because I think it really turned out cool. The angle of the lean was perfect for it.

And, she was cheered up, and much happier in the end.

I think she wishes I lived closer (I live 1.5 hours away), but we do things differently and would probably not get along well doing cakes together all the time. icon_wink.gif

9 replies
KatiesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatiesMum Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 10

Good things can come out of near disasters. I hope your Dad enjoyed his cake and I'm glad your Mom was happier at the outcome. thumbs_up.gif

emrldsky Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! I'm sure he did enjoy it. Even if he didn't, he'd never say a word. icon_smile.gif

My mom said she got a picture of it, so once I have it I'll update. icon_biggrin.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 10

Very creative. I can't wait to see it! I'm glad it worked out.

emrldsky Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 10

Here we go!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/emrldsky/Mummy_edited.jpg

It's a bit large to post in the thread, but that's the link. The image is a bit blurry, but I think it came out fairly well.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 10

Very spooky! I love it! It's even cooler than I imagined. I didn't realize it was three-dimensional.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 10

It turned out super cute! I'm glad things worked out for you all!

emrldsky Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone! It was really fun to help her with. And...it didn't take long at all to decorate once she made the choice. I think it took the two of us about 20 minutes to wrap the fondant around, then pile on all the strips, etc.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 10

i am glad it turned out good for you and mom. it looks great!!!

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 10

Here to a new saying...."when life doesn't give you beer you make mummies!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%