Please Help Me!

Decorating By evbunt Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 4:03am by evbunt

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 6

Okay, I'm still very new to this, seriously the only 5 cakes I've made in my life that have been taken out of a pan before icing, I've posted. I've gotten braver...even started playing with fondant but I obviously just do it for fun and family. But, now my SIL wants me to do a Hannah Montana guitar cake for this Friday, but they are 5 hours away. (We were going to go there for the weekend, but didn't know I needed a cake til about 30 minutes ago) We are driving up Thursday night, will be gone all day Friday and the party is Friday evening. Since I've been making my cakes early in the week and freezing them and I take so much time for crumb coats and fillings, I have no clue when I make this cake and how I transport it and when I ice it, especially. I figure I'll do buttercream with fondant accents (which I can do here tomorrow) but I don't know about anything else. Do I make icing here and take it up there and ice it late Thursday night? If so, will it be okay during transport - do I need a cooler? Or do I have to make the BC up there, too? Can I crumb coat it here and ice it there (many, many hours later)? Also...all in the vehicle...so...no fridge. I know there are a ton of questions here, but please help!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 6

What is the weather like where you live and where you're going? If it's cooler weather there already, then the cake and buttercream should do fine.

What kind of buttercream do you use?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 6

This time of year you should be fine with transporting it completely iced. However, I always say, if you can do it all in the town you are delivering it to then by all means do so. The farthest I have held an iced cake for delivery is 3 hours and that was not a fun trip but a flat guitar cake should be much easier to transport fully iced. Just a tip, do not run the heater in the car. Everyone will be cold but the cake will not be melted! LOL!

evbunt Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:52am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

What is the weather like where you live and where you're going? If it's cooler weather there already, then the cake and buttercream should do fine.

What kind of buttercream do you use?

I am in the St. Louis area and will be going to Chicago, so the weather is in the 50s-60s. I've been (finally) making the Buttercream Dream recipe from here (I bought it from a bakery for my first few cakes, too scared but that got way too expensive!). The one time I made it and tinted it the night before using it it became very, very grainy...may have just been something I did wrong, but I wasn't sure if that was due to storage issues, too. The less I have to do when we get there, the better - which is why I am hoping I can crumb coat it here...but I have no idea if that is okay or not.

THANK YOU

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 6

ok so i would say you can transport it decorated. i use indydebi's butter cream and i would use it to ice and fill if you do any kind of fruit filling it will possibly slide apart in the car ride

evbunt Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissycupcakes

ok so i would say you can transport it decorated. i use indydebi's butter cream and i would use it to ice and fill if you do any kind of fruit filling it will possibly slide apart in the car ride

I was thinking of trying indydebi's recipe for my nieces at the end of the month, so maybe I'll switch it up and use it now. Okay, you guys have made me feel much better, I can just finish the whole thing here and not worry about it up there. Now...I just have to figure out what I want to do with the design. Thanks, so much, I was in a serious panic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%