Walmart Fondant Questions Please

Decorating By wallysdee Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 10:21pm by wallysdee

wallysdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wallysdee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 30

I'm a newby at cake making. I am making a baby shower cake and doing debs buttercream icing but wanted to try and make baby animal cutouts of fondant. Has anyone used the ready made fondant (white) from Walmart and can you just cut those out and paint on those?
Thanks in advance.
Denise

29 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 30

If you mean the Wilton fondant (all I've seen at Walmart) it tastes bad but is very easy to work with. it's cheaper usually to get a coupon and then buy it at the craft store...if you have Michaels near you, they've got a printable 40 percent off coupon this week.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 30

The Wilton fondant taste has improved from the origianl. It would be good for making the animals. Be sure to add some shortening to your hands and maybe a little to the fondant for more pliability. Good luck.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 30

I agree with texas rose, it doesn't taste very good but it works. You can color it with food colors or make your shapes in white and paint them with food colors mixed with vodka.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 30

wallysdee,
Like the others have said the Wall-mart fondant (Wilton) is very easy to work with and would be good to use for your animals. Also like Texas_Rose said about Michael's Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon as well and this would be cheaper than paying full price. When i buy mine here in Alabama the Wall-Mart prices runs around $21.00 but with the 40% off coupons it be around $17.00 or $18.00.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

wallysdee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 30

For some reason I did not even look at the brand prob was Wilton since they make the majorty of the stuff out there but it wasn't $17 it was like $8.97. Dont think I need $17 worth. I think for the 2-3 baby animals I am looking to make the $9 stuff should be plenty to work with. Now the painting. Fill me in on that if you dont mind. You mix food coloring with Vodka? how much and I think all the colors I need is green, brown, yellow (or the golden yellow).
Thanks so much for the info!
Denise

MrCake01 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 30

Sorry i was talking about the 5lb box being $17.00 or $18.00 and yes you're right the only one i have seen is Wilton.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 30

You just thin the gel colors a little bit with vodka or if you don't want to use vodka, with clear vanilla or lemon extracts. If you use the color straight from the jar it doesn't dry. Just dilute the color enough to get the shade you want, then paint it on and don't touch it until it's dry.

tastyart Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 30

You can also tint the fondant in the colors you want and make the animals out of the colored fondant. You could avoid the painting alltogether if you want. It depends on the look you are going for.

wallysdee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 30

Thank you all so very much!!!! You have answered all my questions now who wants to do the cake. lol lol I promise to post pics as soon as I get it done. Oh one more thing ya'll are talking about the colors that come in those tiny jars right? not food coloring.
Thanks
Denise

tastyart Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 30

Yes, absolutely.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

The Wilton fondant taste has improved from the origianl. It would be good for making the animals. Be sure to add some shortening to your hands and maybe a little to the fondant for more pliability. Good luck.

icon_eek.gif It actually tasted worse? Wowwwww. Anyways, that fondant is the best stuff in the world to work with. And the worst tasting poo ever!

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysdee

Thank you all so very much!!!! You have answered all my questions now who wants to do the cake. lol lol I promise to post pics as soon as I get it done. Oh one more thing ya'll are talking about the colors that come in those tiny jars right? not food coloring.
Thanks
Denise

Be sure to use the "gel" colors. Wilton makes individual colors rather than buying a multi pack. This way you can get the exact color your need without having to blend. You can get them at Michaels or AC Moore (I live in NJ) They run about $1.69 ea.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #14 of 30

sorry to hijack but could someone please post a link to the coupon? i've been googling today and couldn't find a recent one that would let me open it. thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:23am
post #15 of 30

Adree, sorry couldn't help with the coupon but I suggset you try signing up for Michael's newsletter. They actually send coupons just incase you need them in the future.

Take care.

adree313 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:55am
post #16 of 30

thanks, rylan, but i am signed up (have been for a long while now) and i have recieved exactly two coupons. thumbsdown.gif

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #17 of 30

do the coupons get blocked by your spam filter? Also, Michaels accepts Hobby Lobby coupons and A C Moore coupons icon_smile.gif so if you sign up for theirs as well as Michaels, you might get more coupons than you need. Do you get a Sunday newspaper (or is there someone you could get a coupon from)? There's almost always both a Michaels and Hobby Lobby coupon in our Sunday Paper.

Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:17am
post #18 of 30

http://mic.michaels.com/20091029WNAMUSA.aspx?id=260&referenceno=03985036999

Does this work? I got this coupon the other day. You still have a couple days before it expires.

adree313 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:21am
post #19 of 30

thanks everyone, i got a coupon! icon_smile.gif
i don't think my spam filter is... filtering it. i get the ads sent to my email, so i would think the newsletters would go through as well and nothing is going into my junk mail. so i don't know!

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:44am
post #20 of 30

are you scrolling down to the bottom of the ads? In the more recent e-mails I've gotten, the coupon has been hidden at the bottom of their ad, maybe look for a 'get your coupon' type link?

Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:08am
post #21 of 30

I usually get a coupon atleast once a month. Sometimes they are in my spam folder and usually, they are at the end of every ad. Hmmm, I wonder why you aren't getting any. I used to not get any when I first signed up though.

adree313 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:31am
post #22 of 30

when i click on the part of the ad about getting coupons it just sends me to the registration page. hmmm... i'll ask when i go into work (which happens to be michaels lol). they probably won't be able to help, but i'll give it a shot.

Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:09am
post #23 of 30

Hehehe you work at Michaels?! See, you get double discounts. Your employee discount and the weekly one. LUCKY!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:07am
post #24 of 30

wilton fondant is ok for just accents I think...if you use more of it though I would make my own mmf taste much better

adree313 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:15am
post #25 of 30

but you can't combine them on the same product! that's so me, trying to find a way to finangle a better discount icon_biggrin.gif but it is nice to have two options!

Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:19am
post #26 of 30

Awww really? I thought you could! Hehe--but still, it would be nice to work there. You can always charge yourself 5 Wilton fondant for only the price of one. Haha, I'm just kidding.

MrCake01 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:43pm
post #27 of 30

adree313,
Here's the hobby looby coupon.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

The Michael's one you either have to register online at Michaels.com or they can be found in newpapers or sale flyers.
Hope this helps.
Mrcake01

txnonnie Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #28 of 30

I have been on the email list for Michaels for a couple of years an never receive the coupon in the email. I had to sign up on another website to get the coupons.

txnonnie Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

icon_eek.gif It actually tasted worse? Wowwwww. Anyways, that fondant is the best stuff in the world to work with. And the worst tasting poo ever!

I personally think it has improved in taste and texture. Used to the texture was like rubber when eating. However having said that, I mostly use the Fondx brand for it does taste better and is softer.

wallysdee Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:21pm
post #30 of 30

Thanks again everyone. I ended up gettin that wilton box that had the 4 colors (baby colors) already in it. Since we are just making a few animals just gonna make this work. I am sure it will be cute either way. Or I hope it will. I actually forgot my coupon but the lady at the register had one and used it for me. I think next week coupon is 50% off so ya'll be looking for it.
Thanks again
Denise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%