Edible Laquer For Airbrush

Decorating By momma28 Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 2:11am by tracienvegas

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know where I can get or how I can make edible laquer that I can apply with my airbrush?

Thank You icon_smile.gif

12 replies
momma28 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 13

I never do this but I am giving mysel a bump because I really need to find a way to make a car cake that I am making shiny like the paint that a car would normally have. I would like to accomplish this with an airbrush if possible.

Thank you icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 13

I have yet to see a product out that you can use in your airbrush that looks and works the same as edible laquer sold in a can.It is only sold at restaraunt supply stores or kitchen specialty shops.I know it is very expensive ..like $30.00 a can

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 13

I had bookmarked this recipe awhile back and it may not be what you are looking for but I hope it helps!
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7292/edible-varnish

momma28 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have yet to see a product out that you can use in your airbrush that looks and works the same as edible laquer sold in a can.It is only sold at restaraunt supply stores or kitchen specialty shops.I know it is very expensive ..like $30.00 a can

I cant find the spray can edible lacquer. Do you know where I can find it?

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 13

Hmmm..Did you google edible food laquer? I know there is a few sites that sell it but not sure which ones.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 13
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 13

Global now has a big can - 12 oz instead of the 100ml (about 3.4 oz) cans. Although $30 sounds high, it actually is a very good buy when you figure the amount for the price

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=edible+lacquer&searchimage.x=12&searchimage.y=4

tracienvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracienvegas Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 13

I found that if you use the colored cocoa butter rather than food coloring in your airbrush you can get that shine like the metal on a car. The pearl and other metal shimmers look really good.

momma28 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracienvegas

I found that if you use the colored cocoa butter rather than food coloring in your airbrush you can get that shine like the metal on a car. The pearl and other metal shimmers look really good.

Where do you get colored cocoa butter? Never even heard of it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 13

What about steaming it like they do on Cake Boss? That always makes the fondant very shiney.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:40am
post #12 of 13

I've never heard of colored cocoa butter, where do you find this?

tracienvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracienvegas Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:11am
post #13 of 13

I get the cocoa butter at chef rubber. Their website is chefrubber.com. Do a search on cocoa butter and you will see the bottles of the metallic butter. It's already tempered, so all you do is warm it to a consistency that works with your airbrush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%