Wilton's Large Cake Leveler

Decorating By jouj Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 3:56pm by sadsmile

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 35

What do you think about Wilton's large cake leveler? I have the small one, and it's amazing, but I'm afraid to be disappointed by the large one. Anyone who has it, do you advise me to get it?

Thanks a lot.

34 replies
ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 35

I have it and it works great. Just make sure you don't tilt it at all, or your cake won't be level.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 35

It's way to flimsy....get yourself an Agbay! It's worth it's weight in gold! thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 35

A lot of people cannot afford and Agby --especially if one is a hobbyist. I admit, at first, I did not like my large leveler from Wilton and even said so in the forums. However, I think I judged too quickly and have since learned to use it proficiently. One trick I came up with is placing the cake on a silicone pad while I level. That way, the cake does not slide at all while you are going across with the leveler. Just keep it's feet on your surface at all times and do not let one side lift or you will not be level as stated above.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 35

A lot of people cannot afford and Agbay --especially if one is a hobbyist. I admit, at first, I did not like my large leveler from Wilton and even said so in the forums. However, I think I judged too quickly and have since learned to use it proficiently. One trick I came up with is placing the cake on a silicone pad while I level. That way, the cake does not slide at all while you are going across with the leveler. Just keep it's feet on your surface at all times and do not let one side lift or you will not be level as stated above.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 35

thumbsdown.gif Don't waste your money! You could probably level a cake better with a serrated knife than with that thing. thumbsdown.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 35

Oh, how I agree with Mightydragon!!! I am trying to save for an Agbay, (the great day seems to elude me) for I think the Wilton is a pain in the nether regions. About 1/3 the way through the cake the blade seems to flex and either come too close to the surface, or dip down. I try to rotate the cake, (making sure the feet remain in contact) have placed the cake on a no-slip, have tried to come at the center from both sides...It is more of an aggravation than an asset. It is particularly annoying with large cakes. Do like I am trying to do,,,save for an Agbay.

milkmaid42 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 35

Oh, how I agree with Mightydragon!!! I am trying to save for an Agbay, (the great day seems to elude me) for I think the Wilton is a pain in the nether regions. About 1/3 the way through the cake the blade seems to flex and either come too close to the surface, or dip down. I try to rotate the cake, (making sure the feet remain in contact) have placed the cake on a no-slip, have tried to come at the center from both sides...It is more of an aggravation than an asset. It is particularly annoying with large cakes. Do like I am trying to do,,,save for an Agbay.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 35

Modify the wilton leveler to make it more stable. Its easy with some UHMW or just some really dense super smooth plastic. Make feet. My husband came up with the idea because I just couldnt bare spending the money on the agbay because I am set on not going into debt for this business so I pay for everything in cash. Here are the pics of what it looks like. Works great for me...I would say make sure the cake is not rock hard cold when you try to level. It works best if it is room temp. I usually level as soon as they are cool.
LL

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 35

momma28- what is UHMW and how thick are the feet?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 35

Momma - that is an excellent idea!! Could you please tell us where you got the items to update that leveller?

momma28 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 35

UHMW is Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic. If you google you can find it for sale online. It has no drag so it glides without effort. The piece I used was 3/8 inch thick. It cuts very easily. I simply made it the width of the feet and then about 3 inches long so that it would keep the leveler from rocking. Works perfectly for me.

momma28 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 35

Just a note. I have seen super smooth little mini cutting boards at the dollar store that I guess could work as well. Just make sure that whatever you use will not pow at all when cut into small strips like the feet need to be. That is why I used UHMW. It doesnt bow....ever.

milkmaid42 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 35

Another reason I love this site! I am definitely going to upgrade my Wilton and then maybe my vocabulary will improve also! (Al least there is no one here to hear me when I torte my cakes.) Thanks so much for the tip.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 35

There is definitely a better leveler out there (an Agbay as previously mentioned), but if you don't have it, I think the large Wilton leveler works pretty well.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:23pm
post #16 of 35

I tried to cut my cakes with a serrated knife and it just didn't work for me and I know the Wilton's large leveler is not the best, but somehow I make it work...I know an Aghbay would be way better, but I'm also a hobby baker.
Momma28 idea is awesome!!!! thumbs_up.gif

jouj Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:10pm
post #17 of 35

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I just checked the Agbay, it's way out of budget, and I don't live in the US, so shipping it to me makes it even more expensive. I just bought the Wilton one, and I'll try momma28's way.
Thanks again everyone.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #18 of 35

I have the large Wilton leveler and it works great. My husband took the blade off and replaced it with wire so it's similar in fashion to the smaller one. The wire doesn't flex like the blade did.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

I have the large Wilton leveler and it works great. My husband took the blade off and replaced it with wire so it's similar in fashion to the smaller one. The wire doesn't flex like the blade did.

Thank you for this idea. I've never once successfully used the large cutter because of the blade turning every which way. I'll be doing this same thing. There are just too many times the larger size leveler is needed.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #20 of 35

Wow I enter this prepared to warn you of not buying the wilton one since it doesn't work for me, but with the modifications I read I think it will improve a lot! My main problem is that the feet are wobbly, so the plastic attachement might solve it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:12pm
post #21 of 35

If you can't get the Agbay, which is by far the best, there's no need to waste your money on either of the Wilton ones, as they're both pretty crappy without modifications.

Take your cake out of the pan. Insert a cardboard, or several cardboards into the pan. Replace the cake. It should be sticking up out of the pan at this point. Use a long serrated knife and the edge of the pan as a guide, cut. Easy.

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #22 of 35

Thanks for that Leah, you just saved me a bunch of money! Great idea

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:21am
post #23 of 35

Where is the best place to purchase a long serrated knife ?

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:23am
post #24 of 35

[quote="topaz176"]Where is the best place to purchase a long serrated knife ?[/quote]

A knife store or a restaurant supply store.

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #25 of 35

[quote="shannonlovebug"]Thanks for that Leah, you just saved me a bunch of money! Great idea[/quote]

Do save up for the Agbay, though. You will not regret owning it.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #26 of 35

i like the wilton leveler. I just go slow in a right to left motion as I hold the feet firmly down. It takes a little getting use to but after you do it works great!

momma28 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:00am
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

I tried to cut my cakes with a serrated knife and it just didn't work for me and I know the Wilton's large leveler is not the best, but somehow I make it work...I know an Aghbay would be way better, but I'm also a hobby baker.
Momma28 idea is awesome!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Have to give dh the credit for the idea icon_smile.gif Works great for me. I just had too many things to buy for my business to spend 200 if i could avoid it. Doing it all in cash, no credit cards, no loans. Tough choices.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:00am
post #28 of 35

I love my long serated knife it works best for me

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:26pm
post #29 of 35

I used the large wilton cake leveler twice and then sprung for an Agbay. The woman lives 15 minutes from my house and was nice enough to meet me at the grocery store to save on shipping icon_smile.gif. I gave my other leveler to a co-worker who was interrested in making cakes. I think it was a big waste of money. Works terribly. My Agbay is one of my most prized possessions in regards to my cake decorating, that and my new Cuisinart. So go sell some cakes and save up for it. You will not regret it!

jouj Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #30 of 35

Thanks again everyone. Leah_s, I'll try your way, seems good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%