Boy, Was I Stupid!

Business By milkmaid42 Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 2:27am by playingwithsugar

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:17am
post #1 of 22

I had an order for a Halloween cake which I just delivered. I had such a grandiose design in my mind and the client was all excited with me. Well, the finished cake didn't turn out like I pictured, (I'm an entomologist and the darn thing ended up with 3 body parts instead of 2) and the fondant job around the legs was lousy. So I didn't feel like I should charge her the full amount we'd agreed upon and let it go for the 1/2 down payment. The construction caused me grief and I didn't feel that she should be charged for my ineptness. At the time it seemed the right thing to do for I was quite ashamed of my work. Oh well, live and learn. I can't figure out how to attach a photo here, but it is in my photos. Tell me, was I wrong? Did I let my pride get in the way? Have you ever felt this way? Thanks for letting me vent.

21 replies
Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 22

Are you talking of that fantastic spider? Looks pretty darn good to me. Its cake, not clay. I assume she was pretty thrilled and most likely will be telling the story of how you just slashed your price last minute and she can't figure that one out.

Anyway, looks great to me.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 22

Wow, I looked at the picture, that cake is too cool!!! If I was the customer I would have demanded you take the full price we agreed upon when I hired you. Whatever it was, it was worth every penny. You see things the customer won't ever notice. In the future, don't point out the flaws, they probably won't notice.
Great cake, love it!!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #4 of 22

You're kidding, right? It's a great looking cake.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 22

That's where the "Artistic license" comes in and also "you are your worst critic".

Next time, if you feel bad about the work...wait and see what happens. Complete the order at the original price...IF the client comes back to complain...that's when you start thinking about refunds or credit.

If it helps, I only offer refunds when there is total damage that couldn't be fixed on site. Also..I feel bad about a lot of my cakes..but the client thinks it great. We see the flaws that no one else does until we point them out.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 22

I delivered one today that I felt like wasn't my best work but I just kept telling myself what globalgatherings said: You see things the customer won't ever notice. don't point out the flaws, they probably won't notice. She was right, my fiend loved it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 22

You can just copy and paste the link. Here's the picture. And you did a great job on the cake!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1503618

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 22

Oops...double post! Sorry! icon_redface.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:26am
post #9 of 22

I think that cake looks awesome! Your way undercutting yourself!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #10 of 22

Totally awesome cake! Don't undercut yourself again!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

Wow, I looked at the picture, that cake is too cool!!! If I was the customer I would have demanded you take the full price we agreed upon when I hired you. Whatever it was, it was worth every penny. You see things the customer won't ever notice. In the future, don't point out the flaws, they probably won't notice.
Great cake, love it!!

Exactly what gg said. judge.gifthumbs_up.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 6:08am
post #12 of 22

I think it looks really good.

Besides the general public has no clue about the differences between Arachnida and Insecta.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 6:22am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I think it looks really good.

Besides the general public has no clue about the differences between Arachnida and Insecta.

So True.

All I know is that I try never to look too closely at spiders (in the house) before I dispatch them..

(Yes, an irrational fear of one of the book-lunged. Did you know that you're never more than 3 feet away from one... Glad I wear a full face CPAP mask so that I can't aspirate any in my sleep.)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 22

A mask?? For real? Now that's being proactive right there. icon_wink.gif

I am not scared of spiders... love me some tarantulas and if I see them in the house I leave them be because they do more good eating the other bugs that fly around the house. Your cake was great and yes... mistake on the discount, but nothing you can do about it now. Next time though... make sure you don't let your pride get in the way or your profits okay?

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 22

I'm conflicted on this. Unless the client complained I don't think you should have discounted it. You were really hard on yourself; the cake looks great/creepy - really good legs, BTW. Is it truly that much different than what you had agreed to create? Appears as though you captured the essence of the creepy theme and executed it well. I don't see the huge flaws you do. That being said, I really don't get it when some decorators deliver a cake that is vastly different from the one ordered (wrong color, incorrect wording, wrong flavors, wrong design) or truly poorly made (cakewrecks.com) and then say "No refunds!" Your standards are very high - that's a good thing; but watch out that people don't take advantage of that and now try to get future "discounts".

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #16 of 22

I think the cake is great. I don't think a discount was remotely warranted. What did the client say when she saw it?

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #17 of 22

You guys are really great. I am feeling better/worse. Better because I am getting my self confidence back, worse because I am really regretting my hasty decision. I had always had that dreaded "artistic temperament". As a child I have ripped oil paintings that were not to my satisfaction, smashed carvings, and scribbled over charcoals, etc. As I matured I was able to overcome that passion, but wow! That cake brought out the child I thought I had outgrown at 67 yrs old. I wanted to pretend I had never gotten the order, I was so displeased. Of course, as you all have pointed out to me, I am my own worst critic and with my previous education I thought the flaws were obvious and glaring. I haven't spoken to the client: I left a message on her phone the morning of the delivery, and at her home only her mother was there to accept the cake. (She seemed pleased, but unaware of my message to the daughter.) The party is tonight and I would feel too foolish to contact her again, as if I were "fishing" for compliments. I have to disassociate my personality from my work and keep it a business. Difficult because it is a passion with me. Thank you all for your feed-back. It helps me grow, something you are never too old to do!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:47am
post #18 of 22

That cake is great!! Great job, next time no refunds or show it here first and I'm sure the more experienced ladies here will help you out.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:18am
post #19 of 22

Wow you second guess wrong on this one! It's creepy and great! Excellent job

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #20 of 22

Excuuuuuuuuse me, never underestimate yourself again.

That cake was awesome!

My Dad is already asking me why I can't do a cake like yours.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #21 of 22

I feel you. I feel the same way about my cakes--maybe it's an OCD thing.

The cake looks great. One of the best spider cakes I've seen.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:27am
post #22 of 22

Ok, entomologist, I've seen spider legs under a microscope, too. I think yours are the most anatomically correct ones I've ever seen in cake.

Stop discounting yourself. Your work is for sale, not on sale, and does not deserve to be.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%