Is This A Scam???

Business By plbennett_8 Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 1:54am by plbennett_8

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:15am
post #1 of 15

I received this in an email this morning and something about it had large red flags waving in my mind...

Hi,

I will like you to bake me a chocolate or a strawberry cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 250 guest or more, and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or butter cream and let there be an inscription be writing on one of the cake as (Happy Married Life) and i want you to pack them in different boxes after ready for pick up. And I want you to have the cake ready for pick-up on 20th of November 2009, 11 o clock A.M. So let me know if you can fill in the date, once i have your reply i will forward all the details and the picture sample of the cake i will like you to bake for me. I await your reply soon.

Thanks and God bless.

Alex.

14 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:23am
post #2 of 15

Yep, it's a scam.

Who puts "Happy Married Life" on a wedding cake?

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:25am
post #3 of 15

Are you accustomed to getting orders in the mail? If you are unsure, obviously you would not do anything until you had a phone conversation with the person and a deposit in hand. If it is legit it seems that the customer is a very organized person and knows exactly what she wants.

Good Luck

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:37am
post #4 of 15

Where did they get your information? Seems like they left out alot of important information in the email. I don't think it's legit. If it is, money up front!!

Colleen

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:41am
post #5 of 15

This is an old scam, they never change the flavors or what they need written on the cake. If you contact them for payment, they will send you a check for 2-3 thousand dollars, they ask you to send the overage back to them. You cash the check, send them good $$$, you find out 10 days later check was no good, they are gone, you need to pay the $$$ back to the bank.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 15

The wording is very close to what other cc'ers have posted as scams - including the "Happy married life" definitely a scam. Just tell them you are booked if you have the itch to answer. If not, just ignore it - emails get "lost" all the time!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 15

Big time...I got that one about 5 years ago.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 15

That one's been going around for years. Do not respond.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 15

Get this: We received an actual check in the mail when we posted on Craigs list . com to sell our personal table and chairs. Both the bank and the police department said that they couldn't do anything because "no crime had been comitted yet". Here I take a phony check with a return address and neither agency would do anything.

Yup, it's a scam.

Paul

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 15

Cash it and hold onto the funds. Crime committed.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 15

Now there have been ton's of threads posted for just this topic but I must say that I am partial to this one....and Miss Lizzy was my former user name...

It's a scam but feel free to copy and paste the reply in the thread to suit your particular client LOL

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6419753#6419753

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 15

When these guys write to me, I just type in "suck it, scammer" and hit reply. I used to get more elaborate, but I don't have the time now!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 15

Rule of thumb...if you have to ask if its a scam then it usually is.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 15

I use hotmail, and they have a place where you can flag an email as a phishing scam for them to investigate it.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #15 of 15

Thanks all... icon_smile.gif I thought I remembered this going around about a year ago... icon_confused.gif I just hit spam and got on with life...grin icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%