Moist But Very Crumbly Coconut Cake

Baking By J1977 Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 4:12am by JanH

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 5

I absolutely love the flavor of this cake after tweaking and it is very moist but it crumbles and falls apart everywhere. (egg whites are added as the last step). Not sure what I need to add.... Any suggestions?
Here is the Coconut Cake recipe:

2 sticks butter (1 cup)
5 Eggs
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 1/2 cups cake flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Coconut Powder
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup coconut cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice

4 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 5

that seems like a lot of butter

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:08am
post #3 of 5

I think the fat content is too high: butter, sour cream, 5 eggs --What was the original recipe? What is coconut powder?

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 5

WHy dont U try sifted AP Flour. I use White Lily or King Arthur only. The White Lily is less expensive and I actually prefer the crumb and texture it produces in my pound cakes much ,ore than cake flour. It would help to know the steps in which U make this cake. I know U said the egg whites go in last thing, but at what stage do U whip the egg whites etc..

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats_1

WHy dont U try sifted AP Flour. I use White Lily or King Arthur only. The White Lily is less expensive and I actually prefer the crumb and texture it produces in my pound cakes much ,ore than cake flour. ..

White Lily is a low protein/low gluten flour so it's closer to a cake flour than a normal AP flour. If substituting White Lily for a normal AP flour it's necessary to use 1 cup & 2 Tablespoons White Lily for every 1 cup AP the recipe calls for:

http://www.whitelily.com/FAQs.aspx

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/choosing-flour-for-baking.aspx

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%