How To Marketing Strategies

Business By ccc1234 Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 11:55am by edith1

ccc1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc1234 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 7

Im starting my cake business outside my house. I have been decorating cakes for 10 yrs now but not in mass quantities. I would love some advise on how to go about marketing my product. What has worked for some of u gys?? What do you do for mailers?? How to approach corporate ppl?? My main fear is that im not a great sales person i shut down when ppl tell me no and I give up. But now its different I need to do this for my family and the big investment that Im making. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 7

Re: Approaching corporate folks ... here's a long story.

I worked in a corporate office and some dessert shop opened close by. They did what we all say to do .... go door to door with samples. They dropped in our office with a slice of cake (a SLICE of cake) on a plate (well, they had 3 pieces, not just one slice) and a flyer. We, of course, ate it, but the office manager asked, "Why would we call them?" She was asking in the sense of looking for ideas, not in a sarcastic sense.

Their mistake was droppping of cake and saying, "Here! Try this! We're open now!" THey forgot one of the most important aspects of sales: What's in it for the customer? They forgot to give us reasons to call them. They forgot to plant the seed of ideas.

As someone who has worked in corporate for decades, let me share some ideas on what you can do to get the attention of corporate folks. Point out WHY they need a special cake: monthly birthdays (some offices get a cake a month for employees), milestone anniversaries (employees who hit 25 years with the company), new product launches, an kickoff to an incentive program, company holiday parties and employee picnics. Show them you can do their company logo on a cake.

I worked for a company who did work for the Big THree automotive companies and their suppliers. We had a big client come into the office. We bought a cake that looked like a Firestone Tire. It was an AWESOME cake!

So a flyer with these kinds of ideas, photos of these kinds of cakes, that you can leave with the person in charge of planning parties, celebrations and sepcial events will get them thinking. If you have an electronic newsletter, ask if you can add them to your mailing list to keep them updated on your monthly specials and such. Most will say ok.

But when you make your rounds, you're not asking for an order right then and there, so the fear of someone telling you "no" shouldn't exist at this point. You're just there to put your name and face in front of them.

ccc1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc1234 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 7

Thank You so much!!!! You're AWESOME

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 7

Thanks Debi. I was looking for this advice too.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:19am
post #5 of 7

as always indydebi. great advice ..you are one smart cookie thumbs_up.gif

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:29am
post #6 of 7

I agree , good advice ! thumbs_up.gif

edith1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith1 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:55am
post #7 of 7

thanks for the info. i love cc. what samples should i take .i do cake, pies , cookies, should i do a tray .of maybe 1 each. should i call ahead or walkin. thanks for all the help i get from ya all on cc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%