Fondant Drape Question

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 12:45pm by KHalstead

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:50am
post #1 of 20

Hi. How do you do this kind of drape? I am worried about the midde of the drape being heavy and ripping. How do I secure it to the cake so it doesn't fall down? The weight is a big worry for me. How do I do this large drape?Thanks for your help in advance.
LL

19 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:39am
post #2 of 20

I haven't done any drapes that large, but if I did, I would use gumpaste or a 50/50 mix, and also use gum glue along the whole back of the drape, not just at the corners.

Iloveweddings Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:58am
post #3 of 20

Thank you for your reply. I was planning to do buttercream with the fondant drape. So, you think I should cover the cake in fondant you think?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:11am
post #4 of 20

BC might be too soft to take the drape.

I do the 50/50 mix and then roll it out as thin as possible to prevent it from being too heavy. I use a very strong glue to secure it to the cake

Una's super glue
marble size piece of fondant,2 tsp icing sugar, ¼ tst liquid glucose, ¼ tsp tylose and 1 tsp water. Heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds, stir and heat again until you have a nice sticky glue. Use in a piping bag ( I diluted mine with a few drops of water and used a brush). Use this glue when a very strong glue is required eg sole of gumpaste shoe, or for gumpaste drapes.

HTH!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:58am
post #5 of 20

Thanks riana for that glue recipe

Iloveweddings Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:14am
post #6 of 20

I appreciate all your help. How fast does the glue dry? How can I hold it
it there while it dries? Thanks.

Cakechick123 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:23am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveweddings

I appreciate all your help. How fast does the glue dry? How can I hold it
it there while it dries? Thanks.

it dries fairly quick, but it will depend on your climate. I normally keep it in place with a toothpic, try to stick it in a spot thats not very obvious

HTH!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks for the recipe. It seems like I have been collecting glue recipes and this one sounds really promising. If I were to make up a small jar of this, does it keep well if: Tightly capped at room temp, or tightly capped in fridge, or should I make it up fresh for every use? Thanks.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 20

I have done two fondant drape cakes and both are in buttercream and the only thing I used to secure them is some icing. They should be fine on your cake without them being fondant. I used mmf on both of the cakes.
LL
LL

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #10 of 20

Hi there.
I do drapes like this out of fondant on buttercreme cakes all the time!! Even larger too. The key thing to me is "GOOD FONDANT!!" make sure you get it thin enough, (the drapes) and a good stable buttercreme. I do my drapes out of satinice, and use a little (just enough) water to glue them on... If you make them heavy, or out of poor fondant ( and there's tons of that out there) they will probably fall on you. take the time to roll them nice and thin and you should be fine.
Mike

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #11 of 20

I had trouble with the front of the cake starting to lean, because of all the weight of the drapes.....so you may want to have some drape going towards the back to balance it out
LL

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #12 of 20

Tonedna may be able to help....she is soooooooo talented....as far as making fondant real thin.........I did not because I was trying to follow what Buddy did on cake boss....if you caught the show with the bridezilla he shows you how to make a fondant drape, and he makes it look so easy........

Cakechick123 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:28am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

Thanks for the recipe. It seems like I have been collecting glue recipes and this one sounds really promising. If I were to make up a small jar of this, does it keep well if: Tightly capped at room temp, or tightly capped in fridge, or should I make it up fresh for every use? Thanks.

I keep mine in the fridge. Thightly capped it can last a few weeks.

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #14 of 20

great tips for the glue and draping in general..thanks!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 20

rvercher23 - your cakes are gorgeous!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 20

beautiful cakes!! wow......so curious.......do you apply the drapes before or after stacking???

rvercher23 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #17 of 20

I applied the drapes after stacking. One before delivery, one after delivery.

KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #18 of 20

do you just preroll them and have them in a container or something? I'd be so worried they would dry and crack apart or something........or if I did it before hand that they would fall off during transport.

I've only done one cake that "kinda" had swags...or swag"ish" decor, but they didn't link up one to the next tier.....this kinda swag scares me!

rvercher23 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #19 of 20

When I did the white cake, I put the swags on at the venue after set-up, I rolled them out, and left them flat in a ziploc bag. When I got to the venue, I just folded it in half, then folded each half-in half, and placed them on the cake. You will need big bags depending on what size cakes you are using. Do not wrap in plastic wrap, it will put lines and grooves in your swag. You could also put between wax paper. Each of my swags rest on the end of the swag before or below it.

KHalstead Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:45pm
post #20 of 20

makes me so nervous to think about doing more than just borders when I'm at the venue LOL I hate when people stand around watching!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%