Sturdy Icing -- Not Royal

Baking By laurs_1981 Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm by luv2bake6

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 19

hellooo....i'm making a bunch of soft sugar cookies for a halloween work party next week. my plan is to use purple icing, then pipe on a white spiderweb and a little black spider. my problem is, i don't want to use royal icing because i want them very yummy...i have a great bc type frosting recipe that i would like to use, but i'm worried that they won't hold up to stacking. wondering if anyone has any recomendations as to how to make the bc more "sturdy"....would adding protein such as egg whites or meringue powder do the trick?...and if so, could i add that to piping gel, or just use white bc for the web.....i really want these to be perfect as i'm hoping to get some orders off of this crowd!! thanks in advance for any suggestions.

18 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 19

glace icing, ones its dry, tends to survive stacking, not so great if you want detailed piping though.
no advice on your bc thoughts though. but you could always use chocolate instead!
xx

laurs_1981 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 19

i thought of making white chocolate webs!!...but i was worried they might crack when stacked...i think i'm way overthinking!!!...have you ever stacked w/ chocolate?

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 19

I used a wilton recipe once. It's called quick pour icing. It dries hard so you can stack cookies. Here is the recipe if you want to try it.

5c sifted pd sugar
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. light corn syrup
HTH!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 19

Can this quick pour icing be piped? cuz i have problems getting glace to pipe without running, even with adding more conf sugar.

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 19

I usually outline in royal icing first and then flood with a karo syrup glace. It dries hard enough to stack and once it is dry, I decorate on top with royal. It's kind of a pain to make 2 different kinds of icings, but those who have had it really like it and haven't ever had anything like it (the glace) so I keep using it =)

Tiffany29 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 19

Yes. If it is too thin add a little pd sugar. My kids and I used it on christmas cookies and it worked well.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 19

laurs_1981~

I make the normal RI, but I doctor it up with 1 TBL of butter and 1 TSP vanilla and 1 TSP butter flavoring.
The butter keeps the RI from getting rock hard, but it will still set up nice for stacking. The flavor is great and I get raves on it all the time.

Happy baking!

luv2bake6 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 19

interesting. do you beat the butter in with the sugar first before adding the water, or do you just add the butter at the end?

laurs_1981 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 19

thank you cookie_fun...what a great idea!!!...i'm so excited to try this!!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 19

Why not add lemon or orange extract to royal, i dont see why royal Cant be yummy too, try some different flavours you might find one you really like

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

interesting. do you beat the butter in with the sugar first before adding the water, or do you just add the butter at the end?

Luv2bake6~

I add the butter at the very end. You will see how it changes the consistency of the RI. But I can pipe with it stiff like normal RI and I also am able to thin it down and use it to flood.

Also, I just recently tried adding creme bouquet and the cookies were SO, SO good!

laurs_1981 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 19

cookie_fun: does your RI recipe use egg whites or meringue powder?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 19

If you haven't tried Antonia74's RI recipe (in the recipe section), you might want to give it a go... I use it all the time and everyone raves about the cookies.

laurs_1981 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 19

i used the antonia74 RI recipe, then added some clear vanilla, and butter flavourings....i was worried cause it tasted HORRIBLE when it was wet...but once it dried it tasted really good....it was surprisingly easy to work w/ too....i spend hours making little spiders and flowers and letters, and webs this week!!!....thank you all for you suggestions and help...funny that my post started w/ "anything but royal icing" and that's when i ended up with!!!!...i also added meringue powder to my buttercream and my cookies stacked wonderfully!!!...i'll post some pics after work...thanks all
LL

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #16 of 19

laurs, I though the same thing about the RI. You should have seen my first batch of cookies a few years ago...I added so much vanilla flavoring I thought my family was going to get drunk from eating the cookies! It tastes fine on the cookies though. : )

Ever think of using fondant as your base? There are a few great homemade recipes here on CC.

Tiffany29 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #17 of 19

Laurs your cookies look great! icon_smile.gif

I made some NFSC yesterday for my son's class. I used the wilton royal icing recipe and added 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar and 2 tsp. vanilla and I followed antonia74's directions and it tasted good on the cookies.
LL

laurs_1981 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 19

oh my gosh!!!!...i ran into a lady in the elevator the other day when i was bringing my plate of spider web cookies to work...and she asked me if i had a business, and i just told her my name and that i was in the phone book....well when i got home from work she had already left me a voicemail!!!!...she's the wife of a local orthodontist and wants to do something different for the 30 referring dentists they have for christmas this year!!!...i'm meeting w/ her after work...i am SOOOOOOOOO excited!!!!!

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 19

Good for you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%