Lets Change The Tune Of Today/tonight.

Lounge By Bluehue Updated 30 Aug 2013 , 1:01pm by redheadfairy2003

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:42pm
post #9991 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSweetTreats

Hey, RED! Been thinking about you all day! Have you decided on a design for your comp cake? What did you think of those new mags?
Any good ideas in there?

My next project is going to be cake pops -- have some ideas, but no time ATM.
Hopefully, next week I'll be able to work on them. Have a neighbor who
wants to do some for her granddaughter's birthday later this spring.

How are the boys doing? Haven't peeked at your blog in a while, will have to pop over there after this. icon_smile.gif

Hi, to Sweet Toof, too! Say, have you seen the Modern Wedding Cakes & Chocolates magazine that comes out of Australia?
There are some knock-out cakes in those! You might get some ideas from them.
Or . . . are you going to incorporate items from the wedding in the design, like your invitations, etc.?
Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Hey to Elise and Jen, too! Elise, haven't seen you on here in a while -- hope you're doing well and all rested up after all that you did for your bday!

And, Ms. Mel -- are you popping in these days, in between work? Hope you're having a good week, kiddo!

Take care,

PDX

PDX, Haven't seen the Modern Wedding Cakes & Chocs mag... I should look into that! I don't actually buy magazines, CC is my reference to all things cake related! I just also signed up to CC Magazine and got my first one a couple of weeks in there. Gorgeous cakes but they're more art and nothing that I could even attempt to replicate but its still great inspiration!
How many of you guys get the CC Magazine?

melave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melave Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #9992 of 10090

hi all

another work week over yay!!! relaxing time now. Got a hankering for some carrot cake so i might make one this weekend. do you reckon white chocolate cream cheese icing will go ok with it?

Hi elise. i am so glad you had a great birthday icon_smile.gif have you recovered yet? oh and thanks for those recipes. They look delicious icon_smile.gif

Hi Jen. how did your floors come up? look good? hope you had a great relaxing time at your mums icon_smile.gif

Hi Red. hope all is well icon_smile.gif hows your cake going? got a design?

hi PDX icon_smile.gif hows the snow? hey did we ever get an ending to your story you started all those pages ago? i'm going to have to go have a look i think icon_smile.gif

Hi sweet toof. congrats on the engagement icon_smile.gif making your own wedding cake. Oh wow. i don't think i could do that. way too much stress for me. Have you picked colours yet?

hi to everyone else who may be reading icon_smile.gif

well time for a haircut today. i can see way too many greys at the moment icon_smile.gif apart from that, just a bit of housework planned and not much else.

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:40am
post #9993 of 10090

Hey, Mel! White chocolate cream cheese sounds perfect! Set another place -- or two -- icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #9994 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by melave

hi all

another work week over yay!!! relaxing time now. Got a hankering for some carrot cake so i might make one this weekend. do you reckon white chocolate cream cheese icing will go ok with it?

Hi sweet toof. congrats on the engagement icon_smile.gif making your own wedding cake. Oh wow. i don't think i could do that. way too much stress for me. Have you picked colours yet?

Melave, do you deliver carrot cake to Australia? Let us know how that icing turns out, omg I think I need some NOW!

No, no colours chosen yet. I might actually wait to see what sort of dress I end up with, because then I can choose the bridesmaids dresses based on mine, from then I guess the rest will flow.... I can't wait to get the ball rolling! Right now nothing is happening but I am still enjoying looking at websites with dresses, cakes, flowers.... Very open at this stage. Getting a little frustrated that I want to make a start and sorta can't!

melave Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:01am
post #9995 of 10090

hi all.

Sitting here with colour and foils in my hair. Oh i look so pretty.................. not icon_smile.gif

PDX - i could try posting it over to you...... but it might get a bit shmooshed (yes new word for the day)

i know the white choccy cream cheese goes good with red velvet so it should go good with carrot. Have to ring my mum and get her carrot cake recipe off her

Sweet toof - i'm in australia, just basically diagonal from you icon_smile.gif i'm in the north west of western australia.
when do you go dress shopping?

Sweet_Toof Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #9996 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by melave

hi all.

i know the white choccy cream cheese goes good with red velvet so it should go good with carrot. Have to ring my mum and get her carrot cake recipe off her

Sweet toof - i'm in australia, just basically diagonal from you icon_smile.gif i'm in the north west of western australia.
when do you go dress shopping?

oh my gooodddd.... the cake talk! Now I want red velvet! Can you believe I've only had it once. I had it in Magnolia Bakery, NY. YUM. Will have to get a recipe and try bake myself.... STOP I have a dress I need to fit into!!!

Mel, not sure when we go dress shopping - ASAP though... wedding still at least 12 months away, my partner is a different religion, we are in the process of sorting out all the conflict first. As soon as that's under control and we have solid bookings on ceremonies and a function room - as well as confirmation that we can afford it.... I will go dress shopping icon_smile.gif I have fallen in love with the Maggie Sottero website, they are just gorgeous. Hoping that they don't cost me TOO much.

PDXSweetTreats Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:19am
post #9997 of 10090

Sweet Toof, Did you get to meet Bobby Lloyd (isn't she the owner of Magnolia Bakery?). Here's a link to her red velvet cupcakes (just use a cake pan instead of a cupcake pan):

In case they haven't changed it, there WAS a discrepancy between the ingredient amounts she discusses in the video and the attached recipe.
I contacted her (she's super nice!), and she said the written recipe was the correct one. HTH! icon_smile.gif

Maggie Sottero -- LOVELY! icon_smile.gif

Mel, are you getting any signals from Mars???? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
(Doncha just love that look? YIKES!!! It's especially nice when you're
sitting right next to the windows, and people peer in -- I know! LOL)

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:23pm
post #9998 of 10090

Ok i'm back lol

PDX: No havn't posted a pic of my cupcakes on here as didn't think they were fancy enough lol

Sweet-toof: I had heard of macarons before masterchef but i didn't really think of making them till after I saw it on there so maybe that's where other people got interested too.....I actually use one of the master chef recipes too lol

Hey red! ooo I saw your entering a cake comp!

Hey Mel! Yeh after a nights sleep after my b'day was feeling much better icon_smile.gif

P.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSweetTreats

Mel, are you getting any signals from Mars???? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LOL

PDXSweetTreats Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:18pm
post #9999 of 10090

Elise, Are you kidding me???? icon_eek.gif Those were crazy beautiful!!! Well, if you do decide to post them, you've got one "save" here -- I love 'em! icon_smile.gif

PDXSweetTreats Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm
post #10000 of 10090

Have you guys seen this? http://www.mylittlecupcakepop.com/

Watch the "little helper" in the middle . . . it's too cute!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
He disappears about half-way through -- but this has to be the cutest video ever!

icon_smile.gif

melave Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #10001 of 10090

hi all

beautiful day here today. we had some storms last night but all clear today. The weather has been really strange here this year

Elise - so glad you have recovered icon_smile.gif are you still doing some design work? Have you thought about going back to your toppers?
AND YES post a piccy of your cupcakes girl. your work is so beautiful

sweet toof. oh wow it sounds complicated. Good luck with it all. can't wait to hear the news when you start finalising all the little details icon_smile.gif

PDX LOL nothing from mars but did pick up uranus!! Sorry couldn't resist icon_smile.gif

I get my hair done at home so no one staring in the window. Pook gets his done as well. Mine is usually in the morning and his when he gets home in the arvo. He gets it cut outside while he is having a beer. So funny. clear skies all day and then he sits down for the chop and it pisses down, wind the whole lot. poor little hairdresser look like she was going to get blown away!! and she trimmed his eyebrows icon_smile.gif hahahaha you should have seen the look on his face icon_smile.gif i wish i had my camera

love the video. little fella must have got bored and wandered off. what a little cutie. those girls did an awesome job!!

Hi Red, Jen and everyone else who is reading icon_smile.gif

PDXSweetTreats Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 11:21pm
post #10002 of 10090

Mel, ROTFLMBO . . . OMG, girl! . . . so are you tryin' to shame me into going on a diet???? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well, now (cough, cough) enough of THAT! icon_smile.gif

They were cuties, weren't they?

Hi! to Elise, Red, Jen -- are you back? and Sweet Toof! And anyone else reading -- come on in and join us. We're not a terribly serious group, but we do have a good time!

Oh, the snows, Mel -- we didn't get nearly what 7yyrt got up her way! She had almost two FEET! at home and the temps today are very, very low -- 11 degrees F last night!
Brrrrr . . . I don't think 7's still on here, but if you are -- HI! icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 11:07pm
post #10003 of 10090

Hi guys! How was your weekend? Oh my goodness mine was SO busy.
Friday night I got home from work and had to do a 2 tier alice in wonderland cake. Sat morning I dropped it off. When I got back I had to cover a 4 tier square wedding cake - what a mess that was - I hope the only reason I hear back from the lady is for a compliment :S
Finished that, did my nephew's cake topper for his baptism and the weekend was over - so glad. The wedding cake was my first wedding cake - even though it was plain icing and ribbon at the base of each tier, so there was nothing to it - I felt so sick all weekend because I was so nervous. It doesn't help that there was something wrong with each tier! My pettinice was horrible - haven't had much experience covering squares, but I'm probably more fussy because I know what to look for - the top tier was raspberry - I put too much colouring and it was really bright but I left it since she didn't know what it was going to look like- baked & tasted perfect anyway... 2nd tier was undercooked white mud, I filled with lots of ganache, also tried it and tasted fine so I left it, 3rd tier was choc mud cake - overcooked edges, hoping I get away with that one... 4th tier undercooked caramel, again tasted ok (I tried off-cuts by the way), filled with ganache - DROPPED half the cake on the table, (broke in 3) put back together with ganache. Oh my god icon_sad.gif
Anyone have stories like this that didn't turn out as bad as you thought they were?
I'm just hoping by the time they were cut up and served its not as bad as I'm making out icon_sad.gif

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 11:22pm
post #10004 of 10090

Hey ...

I plan on doing the one I did last year again.

Sweet_Toof Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #10005 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadfairy2003

Hey ...

I plan on doing the one I did last year again.

What was that about? Sounds interesting? I just joined this talk forum icon_smile.gif

melave Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:32am
post #10006 of 10090

hi all

nice quietish weekend here. Had a craving for scones so i made some but burnt them icon_cry.gif but i still ate them icon_smile.gif

PDX - 2 feet of snow!!! geez!!! i can't wait to see snow............ one day

11 degrees?? i think i would die in that weather. we are back up to the 40 degrees C here there was another cyclone brewing but it has gone inland up north. We may get some more rain out of it though.

Red - that was this one wasn't it?
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1765690
i loooove that cake. it is stunning icon_smile.gif

Toof - sorry had to shorten your name. I hope you don't mind. I am such a bad typist
Busy busy weekend for you girl!!!!
how come your icing was bad? drying out? is it hot over there? i find the bakels much easier than regalice.

well its that time of the year to start planning pooks bday cake. This year it will be the esky that i was going to do last year but saw Elise's tardis and tried that instead.
Its going to be huge!! it will end up about 8 x 11 x 11 inches roughly

I got a price off a guy to make a jim beam stubby mould. 190 bucks!!!! so i am thinking of RKT cans instead with edible labels on it. and isomalt ice.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for RKT? i was going to give this a go today
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7518/rice-krispies-treats-rkt
do you lay it in a slab pan to dry or something?

I have started buying all the stuff i need. i think i will be pulling my hair out with this one icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:50am
post #10007 of 10090

It wasn't really the heat. I think it was me stressing just making everything worse for myself. I haven't covered many square cakes before, but the corners came out ok - on some you could see the holes starting... I had covered the underneath with white ganache, I filled up some of the corners, then when I covered them, I think there was too much movement underneath so they weren't squaring off nicely. The top tier was a bit slanty too. I had my mother standing there watching me... she didn't say anything but I knew she was about to... I said, GO ON, SAY IT!! She goes... Its a bit slanty??? I said.... go away. leave the room now. Anything you need to add before you leave? Lol.. omg I'm so nasty, but when I'm under pressure........ I think it was the ganache underneath that stuffed me up.
I tried not to cut too much cake off the top because I needed the height, but then of course I had those bottom edges that went inwards if you know what I mean... so I had sorta filled them with ganache. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't.

melave Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:37am
post #10008 of 10090

toof - white ganache can be a pain to work with as well. i had problems with it on my tardis. last cakes i upped the chocolate making it nearly a 1:2 instead of 1:3. made it a lot easier. i also set them in the fridge before hot knifing them and them back in the fridge for a minute. i know you aren't supposed to but when it gets as hot as it does here, i had to.

Sweet_Toof Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:17am
post #10009 of 10090

I think I want to do this for my wedding cake icon_smile.gif
The lady that posted this on CC replicated it from another professional. Now I'm hoping she will get back to me through private msg and help me out with a couple of answers! how many hours work, what the flower cutter was and how the heck I do the top tier, bottom scalloping pattern!?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1950199

PDXSweetTreats Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:18am
post #10010 of 10090

Hey, all!

Sweet Toof, that's a gorgeous cake (I've saved it to my favs, too thumbs_up.gif )
She answers a couple of those questions within the comments section --
someone had asked about the top tier and I believe someone else had
asked about the bottom skirt section.

That would be a glorious cake! (Just no yellin' at the MOB!!!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
(just teasing you . . . ). icon_smile.gif Sorry to hear about your wedding cake order -
sometimes it just goes like that. Are you posting pics from your busy weekend?
That was a lot of cakes for one weekend! Hope you had some time to relax!

Hey, Mel -- 7 got all that snow -- we just got a tiny bit -- 3-4 inches, but
it's just getting dumped up in the mountains nearby!

Wave!! to Elise, Jen and Red! How are you all doing? Jen are you back home? How did your floors turn out?

Hope everyone's doing well! icon_smile.gif

PDX

Sweet_Toof Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:29am
post #10011 of 10090

you poor people, with all the snow. We had a really lowsy summer which just finished a few days ago. Sigh.

I've just posted a photo of my 3 tier wedding cake!! I haven't heard back from the lady, who was the MOB. No news is good news, right?

Got my nephews baptism cake on this weekend, Noah's ark! Will post the pics once done icon_smile.gif Well, the topper is done, just have to cover the cakes (square again, ARHHH!!) but the topper has come out really well, im so proud of myself icon_smile.gif At least a couple of things did go right that weekend.

PDX, just had a look through that comment list, I gathered the pearls would have just been glued underneath but I was actually wondering how she's done that scalloping (wavy) pattern at the base of the top tier, would you maybe do it and store it upside down, then stack it the right way up at the time?

PDXSweetTreats Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:12pm
post #10012 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

PDX, just had a look through that comment list, I gathered the pearls would have just been glued underneath but I was actually wondering how she's done that scalloping (wavy) pattern at the base of the top tier, would you maybe do it and store it upside down, then stack it the right way up at the time?

Sweet Toof, it's a bit difficult to tell (as the photo isn't a close-up), but I'm thinking there are a couple of ways to do that:

1. Do you have a turn table or something to place the cake on, so that once you have the cake covered in fondant (and "most" of the sides cut off), you could place it up on top of a "lift" like object and then cut the scallops on the bottom? (Over here, I've seen decorators who have a lot of different types of "lifts" -- I'm calling them that for lack of a better term -- which helps get the cake up at eye level -- and in this instance would help you cut the scallops that are actually BELOW the base of the tier.) You could use an X-acto knife or small sharp scissors to cut the scallops. (Then just keep the cake elevated until it's time to stack it.)

Two easier ways to effect the same look might be:

2. Again get the cake up, so you'll be able to secure the scallop "hem" -- but cut the scalloped hem separately and attach it to the base of the tier. You would probably have to cut up about an inch or so (wherever you prefer the hem seam to be) and then secure the hem against the bottom edge of the fondant. (This wouldn't give you as pretty and finished a look, but it's an option.)

3. This is something that I've seen quite a bit over here (by some of our top cake artists): Cut a fondant circle for the top of the cake. Then cut the sides separately. That way, you would be able to cut your scallops evenly (just measure around the side of the cake to get the correct width), plan your scallops and mark the bottom of the fondant piece (for the side) and then cut the scalloped edge. Adhere to the side of the cake. Now, in this instance you'd have a seam at the top, but you could put a border of pearls where the two seams meet.

In looking at the photo again, if you decided to go with #2 above, you could make that "hem" section look like a ribbon -- say, emboss it with a grosgrain roller -- or something similar. (Or dust it so it has a slight shimmer -- giving it more of a ribbon effect.)

However, if you do opt to do it all in one piece, notice that some of the larger flowers are actually covering portions of the scalloped hem (good way to hide any areas you don't want to show).

Red, Elise, Jen, Mel -- what do you all think??????

HTH, Sweet Toof! icon_smile.gif

P.S. Please let us know if you hear back from nancyBee -- I'd love to know the "right" way to do it! icon_smile.gif

PDXSweetTreats Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #10013 of 10090

Sweet Toof, just saw your Noah's Ark cake -- it's darling! (I liked the little pink flowers for the females, too!) icon_smile.gif Did you ever hear back from nancyBee on the cake?

Hi, Red! (waving) How are ya doing? You mentioned you had a couple of
birthday cakes this month. Do you know the designs yet? I have a design I'm working on, but need to do a couple of other cakes before I attempt it. (One or two cakes, decorated, a year just isn't cutting it!!!) But it looks like I'll have some time coming up soon! icon_smile.gif (Yay!)

Hey, Mel! Hope your week goes well! And hope you have a moment to pop in and say "hi" when you can! (Hi to pook and the "kids" too!) icon_smile.gif

Hi, Elise, any new designs going? At some point I would like to try those macaroons that are all the rage over there. Any pointers???? (Yours always turn out so pretty -- and tasty-looking, too!)

"Hi" to Jen!!! icon_smile.gif Did you like how your floors turned out? We had one "group" come in and almost wrecked ours; apparently, there are only so many times they can sand them down -- and these guys actually went cross-wise (ouch!). So we had another crew come in to fix it, and they did a great job. But don't think there's another sanding in its future -- LOL!
Hope you're all settled back in and doing well! Let us know how things are going when you can.

Hi, to 7yyrt and Little Tommy! And, of course, Blue, Sonia and Jan if you guys are still on CC.

PDX

redheadfairy2003 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:51pm
post #10014 of 10090

Hey everyone ! Hope you all are doing ok ! What is everyone working on ?

Me I just got done doing just a simple cake for a birthday ..I also posted it.

Waving to all !

Linda

melave Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:08am
post #10015 of 10090

hi all

just letting you know i am still alive..... just

lots of dramas at work at the moment that is just draining me

Hope all of you are well and are busy making cakes icon_smile.gif

redheadfairy2003 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:21pm
post #10016 of 10090

Thanks to you all for the comments on the cake !

melave Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:39pm
post #10017 of 10090

you did a beautiful job on the cake red icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:48am
post #10018 of 10090

Love your work, Red!

Elise, I need to check out these macaroons of yours after PDX's TASTY comment icon_razz.gif DROOL!!

PDX, only JUST heard back from Nancy about the cake! She told me which cutter she used for the flowers (was just a gerbera cutter), she said she couldn't remember how long it took her, shame cos I'll have to try estimate myself, even though everyone takes shorter/longer time it would've been a good starting indication!

redheadfairy2003 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:04am
post #10019 of 10090

Thanks Sweet !

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 11:27am
post #10020 of 10090

Heeellooooo icon_smile.gif

I finally got on! lol

Hey PDX icon_smile.gif Thanks lol I'm not expert at making macarons (blue prob makes them more than I do) but if i guess some pointers from my experience would be:

1. When folding the almond meal/icing sugar in the egg whites do it gently (I use a spatula) and try not to over mix it so it ends up way too runny

2. Use a small round object to trace circles on some baking paper and then flip it over and use them as a guide to pipe so they will all come out similar sizes

Hey Red! icon_smile.gif Nice cake! Your bows always look great.....is that disco glitter on that particular one?

Hey Mel icon_smile.gif Sounds like your a bit stressed with work lol Hows the esky cake going?

Also no havn't really gone back to making/selling toppers plus i don't think my neck and shoulders would appreciate being cramped all the time again lol

Hey Sweet_toof Great noah's ark cake! the animals are so cute icon_smile.gif

P.S I can understand about being annoyed when your stressed doing a cake and want it to look good and then someone pointing out the flaws lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%