Beginner Working With Fondant: Learning Resources?

Decorating By taria Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm by taria

taria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taria Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I'm relatively new working with fondant. I really want to get books or dvds, but I'd like you guys to weigh in with your advice/opinions. What are some good resources? Part of me wants to just crack open the fondant and play with it, but that seems like a waste.

Additionally, I'd like to know if I should buy a fondant tool set? And is working with gum paste like working with fondant? Any comments GREATLY appreciate. I am anxious to get started!

~Taria

6 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 7

Both JenniferMI and Sugarshack have excellent fondant videos out reasonably priced. I'd start there. They are both members here on CC.

taria Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you! I will definitely check them out!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 7

Hi Taria! Another resource is to do look ups on youtube. I am sure you will find LOTS of video clips that will help you get on your way! Best wishes! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:02am
post #6 of 7

I second the Sugarshack (Sharon Zambito) video idea. On buying tools, TRUST me you dont need to start buying stuff because you'll bankrupt yourself on a lot of stuff you'll never use. I cant tell if you have any experience at all (as in with buttercream and baking) but for a start off the top of my head I'd say the only tools you need with specific regards to fondant are shortening for kneading and softening the fondant to prepare for rolling, fondant smoothers, a pin (for pricking out bubbles), a strainer for spreading cornstarch/powdered sugar for rolling out the fondant (I suggest this one: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17316&name=Sugar%20/%20Flour%20Shaker), a large rolling pin, a measuring tape (to measure the cake and then the fondant to make sure you have enough to cover your cake) and either a pizza cutter or a palette knife to cut the fondant with. Depending on the surface you're working on and/or preference, you may need a fondant mat to lay over your surface such as a piece of vinyl. That's what I can think of right now. I really wouldn't buy anything else until you feel like you absolutely need it and cant use anything else to do what you need.

Gumpaste is similar to fondant but dries harder and can be rolled out thinner so you'd use it for different things. You wouldnt use it say to cover a cake but for decorations. The tools you'd need for that really depend on what you are trying to make.

taria Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks MyDiwa. I have experience with buttercream, and I've done a little with fondant before, but I'm trying to get better. I have a fondant mat, rolling pin, smoothers, etc., but like you said, I don't want to go out buying unnecessary stuff. I really want to step my cake decorating game up. My friend is getting married in March, and I am gifting her a bridal shower cake, so I want it to be AMAZING!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%