Help I Need Advice On Pricing. I Had A Bad Experiance.

Decorating By erilay Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 3:39am by erilay

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #31 of 35

When I did my 9 inch drawing test, I used the style Indydebi shows at cateritsimple, I didn't know how to describe it well.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

You guys all use the Wilton wedding chart? I use Earlene's chart for most of my cakes, but sometimes the Wilton party chart as a reference for doing 3D cakes. I know my customers do not know how to cut the Wilton wedding slices so I just use Earlenes. Of course after I add it up I make sure I am satisfied with the price after I multiply cost per serving.

I LOVE the topper, your figurines are GREAT!!!!!!

The honest part though....if my customer wanted 30 servings for that design... I'd have made a 9"/6" tiers (using Earlene's chart) and would have charged $5-$6/serving plus probably $25-$40 for the topper....so the MAX I would have charged would have been $200-$225 for the cake the customer asked for (no extra servings and no cupcakes....believe me, some people do NOT like having extra cake). Then yes I would have charged for delivery, or offered pickup.

So I will say that as far as what the customer ordered, they did pay kind of alot....and although your figurines ROCK, (gorgeous!!!!) I have to admit you could work on the smoothness of your tiers and fondant work before charging quite that much. For this lady I'd probably offer her a small refund, maybe $90 or so, because she was not satisfied.

This was perfectly, tactfully said. I'm sorry, but the cake was over priced and is lacking in skill. However, if the client accepted the cake, paid for it, ate it, then no refund. If she complained at the time of pickup, then yes, some kind of refund.

Things like this are hard, and you will sort it out in time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:03pm
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

First of all, that is a very cute cake. You did a nice job on it and you should be proud of your work.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have no idea how anyone could think a $90 refund is in order. Chick does not deserve any refund at all.

No refund due to buyer's remorse uh ugh.

Great cake. Nice workmanship.

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #34 of 35

Thanks indydebi and Ruth. I checked out your chart that you attached and it really helped. I have seen charts drawn before but to see the slices in actual cake was nice. I was shocked to see how much a 1 x 2 x 4 inch slice really was. I think I am going to use that chart from now on and if they want more after seeing that then they can decide. I was never really confidant in the Witon chart. I even called local bakeries to check, and I found that they did not use that chart for party cakes. Thats wht I was so confused but it is alot easier to just stick to that.
Thanks Again

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #35 of 35

Thank Memphis and OfficerMorgan. I was startin to think I should refund something. I really did not want to but I was thinking maybe I should after some of the coments. I also thought the same thing you said. If she had said it at the time of delivery or even that day, but she waited an entire 2 days after the event. I will definately learn from all of this and take from everyones helpo and advice. It is so nice to have a place to bounce ideas around and get non-bias points of view. My mom and husband are not going to see it anyway accept mine.
icon_smile.gif
Thanks so much for your time and help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%