Frozen Buttercream Transfer On Side Of Cake

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 21 May 2010 , 6:52pm by Walls1971

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #1 of 9

I apologize if this has been addressed before. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

I was wondering if you could use a frozen buttercream transfer on the side of a cake? All the ones I have seen have been on top of the cake.

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 9

Yes, you can do a FBCT on the side of a cake.

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 9

It's not a bad idea when applying to a cake that is crusted to add just a tiny bit of moisture to your FBCT before sticking it on, so it stays in place easier. The key is just a little bit of moisture, so if your cake is one still condensating somewhat from coming out of the fridge, that moisture is enough to help hold the FBCT in place. I use FCBT for different things all the time, it's awesome.

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the response! I've done a FBCT before, but not on the side of the cake. Wish me luck! I'm making the FBCTs tomorrow, and decorating the cake Friday.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for asking this question! This is the first time I've used the search that it's yielded any results. Maybe it's me... icon_wink.gif

Please post pics and let us know how it goes for you. I am going to be trying it in a couple of weeks.

HBcakes - when you add a little moisture, do you mean a little water or a little icing?

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 9

I use a small paint brush and brush just a little water onto the FBCT, it doesn't even need to all get brushed depending on how heavy & thick it is.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 9

when you make the fbct put the wax paper on the side of a styrofoam dummy or even the side of your cake pan to give it the contour shape (If you're applying it to a round cake that is) that will help in not breaking it when you go to put it on the cake.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

when you make the fbct put the wax paper on the side of a styrofoam dummy or even the side of your cake pan to give it the contour shape (If you're applying it to a round cake that is) that will help in not breaking it when you go to put it on the cake.

I know this is an old thread but...

With the round cakes, wouldn't the shape of the FBCT not fit because the pan would technically be smaller than the iced/fondanted cake? I want to try this for a lace pattern, but invision the FBCT crumbling to little pieces... icon_cry.gif

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 9

I did a FBCT transfer to the side of a round cake and all I did was once I had the design completed, I pressed it against the cake (where I wanted it) and popped the entire cake into the refrigerator until the buttercream firmed up. Then I peeled the wax paper away. I guess, technically, that's not a FBCT. . . just a BCT! It worked though.

I figured this out the hard way because I initially did the outlining and filling in of the design, popped it in the freezer like you're supposed to and THEN realized, hey, it's frozen flat and my cake is round! LOL I just let it thaw and did what I said above. Worked like a charm!

The only thing to remember if you do it this way, is to make sure the wax paper is trimmed pretty close to the design so it doesn't interfere with putting the transfer on the cake and perhaps gouging the icing already on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%