Gumpaste Poinsettias

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm by AlanT

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 5

I'm thinking of ordering gumpaste poinsettias for Christmas cakes (not ambitious enough to make my own for 8 cakes). Will they hold up during shipping, or should I drive over the lake and pick them up?

Also, do you find that you run out easily around Christmas? Should I plan on buying early?

Thanks! Amy

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 5

I suggest that you contact your vendor and ask them when you order your flowers by. Only they would be able to tell you if it's wise to buy them now.

Your bigger concern should be how to store them if you buy them now. Gumpaste flowers will wilt when exposed to too much humidity, even if they're completely dry when they go into storage. If you buy them now, you will have to go to a craft store and get some dessicant (flower drying medium) to put in the storage container before adding the flowers.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
P.S. How does one, "drive over the lake?" - T.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 5

Playing with sugar - Global Sugar Arts is my vendor of choice for these items, so that's why I posted in this forum. I was thinking that, given the season, it would help other CC'ers as well.

And one "drives over the lake" by either taking the Burlington VT or Grand Isle VT ferries, or by taking the bridge that is about a mile from the Canadian Border. I am in Burlington, GSA is in Plattsburgh, which is literally over the lake. But, I have to take a half day off of work because they are open office hours, which is what I work.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

And one "drives over the lake" by either taking the Burlington VT or Grand Isle VT ferries, or by taking the bridge that is about a mile from the Canadian Border. I am in Burlington, is in Plattsburgh, which is literally over the lake. But, I have to take a half day off of work because they are open office hours, which is what I work.

My imagination ran away on me when you wrote that. I envisioned a boat like in On Golden Pond or some amphibious vehicle like in Pontiac Moon.

If I had difficulty getting to my local vendor because of their hours I would definitely contact the online vendor and inquire as to when to order.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your postings. Gumpaste flowers are all carefully checked and repackaged by us before sending them on to you. We wrap each package in extra thick bubble wrap and pack all the boxes carefully. We seldom have a problem with severe breakage during shipping. Alan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%