Strawberry (Flavored) Cake From Scratch?

Baking By cakesweetiecake Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 1:23pm by cherrycakes

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have a strawberry flavored cake recipe made from scratch?

7 replies
ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 8

Strawberry Cake from Scratch
Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs (room temperature)
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry puree made from frozen sweetened strawberries
Instructions
1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.

2 In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.

3 Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.

enjoy.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 8

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the one I use. It's fabulous!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 8

I use my standard cake recipe (below) and substitute 1 cup fresh pureed strawberries (with some sugar, to taste) for the whole milk. I don't care for artificial strawberry flavoring so I don't use the strawberry gelatin. This has a subtle, but nice strawberry flavor. I like to ice it with strawberry buttercream made with fresh pureed strawberries as well.

3 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow! Thanks!

Just curious, what is the texture of this cake? Is it dense like a pound cake or does it have a lighter texture? How is the strawberry flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

I use my standard cake recipe (below) and substitute 1 cup fresh pureed strawberries (with some sugar, to taste) for the whole milk. I don't care for artificial strawberry flavoring so I don't use the strawberry gelatin. This has a subtle, but nice strawberry flavor. I like to ice it with strawberry buttercream made with fresh pureed strawberries as well.

3 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Thanks alot.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 8

I use Hero Compounds and add them to my tried and true white batter for all kinds of flavors (strawberry included).

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow! Thanks!

Just curious, what is the texture of this cake? Is it dense like a pound cake or does it have a lighter texture? How is the strawberry flavor?

It's a lighter cake. It's pretty sweet, too, but for me that's not a problem. icon_lol.gif It tastes very much like strawberry. I used it for the 4th of July cake in my photos. The third photo shows the inside of the cake. (I added red food coloring in honor of the occasion. It's not normally that red.)

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 8

The reciped posted by citrella and seconded by CookieD-oh is the same one that I use. The recipe comes from this site:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Cake-from-Scratch/Detail.aspx

Lots of people have posted pictures of the cake so you can see what it looks like. I cut down on the sugar a bit and use stabilized whipped cream for the filling to cut down the sweetness. It's delicious!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%