1 Boo Boo After Another...am I Still Ok?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm by Jopalis

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:57am
post #1 of 19

Ok so this may turn into a bit of a rant...just warnin' ya now. icon_razz.gif

Allright so I've had a super busy day: woke at 9 AM, out the door by 9:30, drive 45 min to students' house for a baton twirling lesson, ready to teach lesson at about 10 AM (only to wait on my student till 11!), finish lesson by 3 PM and travel 45 min back to the house. THEN...wash dishes (by hand!) and bake three layers of cake using only 1 pan, make buttercream, meanwhile boiling sweetened condensed milk (for the first time!) to make some caramel filling. THEN...stack, fill, carve cake, and crumb coat.

NOW...here lies my conundrum: while placing my beautifully stacked, carved, and frosted cake into the refrigerator, it dawns on me that I forgot to add merengue powder to my buttercream! AAAHHH!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif So I'm holding this cake (trying REALLY HARD not to throw it across the kitchen - only because I'm too d^%$ tired to clean up the mess! icon_mad.gif ) and wondering what the non-heaven do I do now? I know...pray to the cake gods! icon_lol.gif

So here I go...Please tell me my cake will be ok....oh please please please cake gods!

18 replies
Misdawn Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 19

Did I mention that I'll be covering it in fondant tomorrow? icon_confused.gif Yeah...fun. icon_sad.gif

wholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wholden Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:08am
post #3 of 19

Just a newbie here, but I know I did that more than once while taking my Wilton classes. Nothing bad happened, and the taste was fine. After such a long day I hope those who know for sure will tell you it's ok. {{{hugs}}}! icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 19

You don't have to have meringue powder in your icing......sometimes I use it and other times not, not a biggie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:52am
post #5 of 19

I've never used MP in my icing.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 19

I never even knew wilton had added it to the recipe until about two years ago. It didn't seem to make any difference in their buttercream for me. I think you'll be fine.

Misdawn Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:24am
post #7 of 19

Oh thank goodness!!!!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 19

Ditto for me on never using it in buttercream.

Whew!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 19

I used to use it when I made the Wilton recipe, but since using my own recipe I never use it. I think it is just to sort of stabilize the colors to keep them from bleeding so much. Not sure about that though.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 19

not sure what the MP is in the recipe for - I thought it might be for crusting? If that is the case, you will be fine, just may have to work harder at smoothing since your BC won't crust. But I always use IMBC underneath fondant and that doesn't crust either, so no biggie icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 19

I think the purpose of the MP IS for crusting purposes, so you're fine!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 19

Baton twirling? THAT IS AWESOME!

Anyways, I've never made icing with meringue powder but hopefully you are fine.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 19

You should be fine I never use MP in my buttercream.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm
post #14 of 19

I have made many egg free cakes and skipped the MP in the recipes with good results. I don't even think to use it for regular cakes. Let us know how your cake turned out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 19

Crusting is a result of the fat/sugar ratio. Since I never used MP for 30 years, I'd venture to say that MP has nothing to do with the crusting process.

amberc727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc727 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 19

I don't use MP in my buttercream, and it crusts just fine, tastes just fine, I don't see the point, unless it's for Wilton to sell another product.

amberc727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc727 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 19

I don't use MP in my buttercream, and it crusts just fine, tastes just fine, I don't see the point, unless it's for Wilton to sell another product.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #18 of 19

I'm fairly certain the MP is in there just to get you to purchase another Wilton product.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 19

After you take the classes you think it needs it but I don't use it anymore. I wonder if it does anything re color not running... Not sure why they have you use it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%