Burnt Out My Ka :(

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 3:06pm by Rylan

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #31 of 63

Thanks for the sites about fixing your KA. I am going to print this post and file it with my baking stuff for future reference. I have the 6 quart and it is about 6 years old I have not used it much in the past. It has gotten a work out this year since I have gotten into this caking thing. What I have just read scares me as a previous poster said that thing is expensive!!!!!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #32 of 63

Yep I'd love to have a Hobart but that will be after a few other things, they are expensive even used but worth it. I love my Kitchen Aides, if you watch Khol's for their big sale on Kitchen Aide you can get a pretty good price.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #33 of 63

Okay, I have burned up 2 KA in the past 5 years (6 quart Professional models) and spent $70 for the local appliance man to look at it...he said it would cost $200 for parts (I looked up the prices and that was not true...so I will not go back to him) Now I have a KA which only goes in the lower gears... without a man who can fix these things, I do not know where to turn...KA told me it would cost $32 for shipping and a minimum of $150 to have it fixed...they were not so cordial to me because the machine was so old (5 years is old?...maybe for this model)...

So, if someone has an idea, I would appreciate it!

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:59am
post #34 of 63

I understand. We keep seeing KA ads since we were babies (movies, magazines, pictures, soap operas, tv shows, etc). We see KA everywhere and they send us the message that only this mixer will make you happy. Don't be lured by them.Take a look in a Kenwood or DeLongui. They are much, much better and stronger.
KA was a reliable brand some decades ago. Not anymore. Wake up!

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:58am
post #35 of 63

I went out and bought a Cuisinart yesterday... 1000 watts of power!!! I will keep my KA as a backup....thanks everyone!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:14am
post #36 of 63

If anyone is looking for a good buy on a the 5 qt. KA professional mixer Sam Club has one on their auction site the current bid is $198.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:02am
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

There are known issues with the 6 quart Pro. It's with the gears and gear housing. I was told this by a KA authorized repairman. However he says the company turns it around and says that you've abused the mixer. Evidently they've fixed the problem with the newer model of the mixer that's coming out, but if you have the older one, oh well.
I spent $150 getting mine fixed this summer. I even wrote to the President of the company and got no response.
The repairman suggested I "take it very easy" with my mixer and purchase the new one when it comes out. He said there will be a separate metal plate over the back vent area of the mixer. It won't be a solid piece. Then you'll know the mixer doesn't have that problem. The older KA's (like the 4 quart I've had for over 24 years) had a plate like that. Obviously, he wasn't supposed to tell me any of that.
And, btw, you can't fix one yourself. KA manufactures their appliances with specialized tools. It can only be worked on by a KA authorized repairman.
I don't think I'll ever buy another KA after learning all of this.

Jodie

I just bought the Pro 600. Do you know if this is the newer one or not.

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:42am
post #38 of 63

I HAD the 6qt pro...got it at Costco...the motor smelled funny,and since I had been reading on here and elsewhere about troubleshooting for it...I called,and took it to be repaired...after about 2 weeks,they still had it sitting there waiting for a part,so I went and got it,returned it to Costco(which I should have done in the first place) and got a refund...went to the Bay and bought the 7qt Cuisinart...returned twice...at this point I had almost given up...then called a restaurant/industry supply place and ordered the Waring Commercial(it looks exactly like the Cuisinart)...it's been a year and it's ok,but NOT perfect...I have a hard time with smaller quantities...but it is still working...
Wht I need now is a good,controlable hand mixer...the one I have seems to shoot stuff out horizontally...all over the wall!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:09pm
post #39 of 63

I have a 5quart Artisan and sometimes after use there is a peanut-buttery looking guck (I'm assuming grease) that startes to come out of the head that holds the attachments. I know I should just call KA but has anyone experienced this? The mixer seeems to work fine but I am concerned that one day it will just stop working in the middle of a cake.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm
post #40 of 63

About 5-6 years ago, I purchased a 4.5 qt. KA mixer and the first time I used it, I burned it up on hard brown sugar. I called the company (at night) and the first thing the person said to me was "I bet you were using hard brown sugar". He then said that bs would burn it up faster than anything if it was hard. They told me to box it up and set it on my porch (I work and am not at home during the day) and they sent me a brand new one and picked the old one up. Needless to say, I have been very careful about brown sugar since then.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm
post #41 of 63

I just wanted to add sometimes when you do not get a helpful customer service person (at almost any large corp.) it is wise to say thank you, hang up and wait 5 minutes. Call back, you will likely have a different rep. to speak to and in my case a good 5 minutes to calm down and perhaps get a different outcome.
It seems some are more helpful than others.
I had to return two diffferent 5 quart copper models two years ago becase they sounded funny when working, I never had any problems with cust. service or shipping.

Tracy

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:14pm
post #42 of 63

I'm really getting concerned with all these posts on KA mixers. I purchased (for Christmas) the Pro 600 series. I used it once, just to make sure it worked and it seems fine. I boxed it back up because, afterall, it is for Christmas. I am just very worried with all that is being said. I have a 5qt one that is 28 years old. The only problem is that it squeels terribly and I have no idea on how to fix it. I told my husband about the site posted above to fix them. I am not sure if I should return the mixer and try to fix the old one.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #43 of 63

If I could I would return mine in a heartbeat. I'm actually thinking about asking for a new mixer for christmas (no clue which one b/c I can't spend $2-3k on a mixer right now) then turning around & selling mine. I've been underimpressed w/ the KA since I first bought it. I always thought it sounded sluggish, but I didn't know what they were suppose to sound like b/c I'd never had one.

I'd thought I'd get the Pro when Martha Stewart recommended them & said their test kitchen uses them. I figured if they used them w/ all the recipes they go through it would work for me. But No Way would I buy another

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #44 of 63

As far as I know Kitchenaid has not released the version of the 6 quart that is "fixed". If you look at the back of the mixer, it's a solid piece of metal. The new one will have a separate plate on the back like the old ones used to. I too have a 24 year old Kitchenaid that has never had one issue. But, they were made by Hobart then. They're not anymore.
I had very poor luck with Kitchenaid customer service. Others have had great experiences. I've had my 6 quart Pro fixed twice now. I won't have it fixed again if and when it breaks. My next mixer will be a different brand.

Jodie

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:22pm
post #45 of 63

im sorry to hear about your loss...haha. i depend on my kitchen aid allt he time! ive only had my for a year, but the last batch of RI i made it was smelling like it was burning and now it is in a sorry state! i dont have the extra money to get a new one. so i think i may call KA and see what they can do.
good luck!

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #46 of 63

What timing! I'm probably going to go buy my first stand mixer this week and am torn between a KA and a Cuisinart. Hubby (who is treating me to the mixer and is handy with motors and machines) actually went and looked at them today and swears up and down that the Cuisinart looks like a better machine. "But.. but.. it's not a Kitchen Aid!" I whine. icon_rolleyes.gif

So.. the Kitchenaid Ultra Pro, 300 W, 4.5 qt or the Cuisinart 800 W, 5.5 qt?

Which would you all recommend?

(Edited to try and fix links to products.. couldn't get them to work, sorry)

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #47 of 63

If my two cents is worth anything, I would not spend one more dime on a KA...this is the 2nd one in 5 years and I am using my daughter's right now to finish up some immediate cake orders...hers is doing the same thing...the oil is dripping and it is starting an awful racket...now I am going to have to buy her one and me one...

....so I am going to look for an industrial motor...the Professional 6 is not strong enough to make a cake, nor fondant...it makes a racket when the dough hook is used to knead the bread, etc....why did I pay for an expensive piece of junk? ...when I returned the first one (within the first month), they sent me a refurbished one... how is that for service? I should have been given a brand new one to replace my brand new one...the refurbished one was also a piece of junk...

Do I sound bitter? No, just realistic... a Kitchen Aid used to mean one thing and now it means the opposite... it is like those fabulous mortgages that everyone bought into a few years ago...nice and shiny, but eventually, you have to pay the piper!

If anyone knows of another machine that can handle fondant, bread dough, and cake...please let me know...I am desperate for an honest answer.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #48 of 63

I am just going to linger around this thread. I am hoping to get a stand mixer for christmas (I just have a hand mixer) and have been looking at the different brands and am very confused.

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #49 of 63

Can I just say.... You girls are all using a machine regularly... Sometimes twice/three/four times a day... And after 5 years or so you are saying this and that about it... Have you ever thought of getting it serviced? You can do that you know.

You wouldnt drive your car for 5 years without getting it serviced would you?

JodieF Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #50 of 63

Roweeena....I'm a hobby baker....besides the occasional cookies for my family, I may do one cake a month for friends and family. My original KA is 24 years old and has never been serviced. I was told by a KA authorized repairman that there is an issue with the KA Pro 6 motor mounts and gears.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think not having them serviced is the issue.

Jodie

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:10am
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Roweeena....I'm a hobby baker....besides the occasional cookies for my family, I may do one cake a month for friends and family. My original KA is 24 years old and has never been serviced. I was told by a KA authorized repairman that there is an issue with the KA Pro 6 motor mounts and gears.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think not having them serviced is the issue.

Jodie

I was referring more to the girls who use the on a semi proffessional basis and who are complaining that they are having to replace them or that they are sounding terrible after constant use. You say your machine is 24 years old and you only do one cake a month, thats not what I would class as high use.

Mine gets used every day except sundays at least 4 times a day (2 cakes, two batches of buttercream) and I service it every two years. The first time the safety cog was about to go. Replaced it, runs like a dream, second time servicing it, the mechanic removed a build up of grease around the gears. Might not have been necessary but I noticed the difference.

I would much rather pay $100 bucks every two years than have to replace my KA.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #52 of 63

does anyone have the new Cuisinart 7qt stand mixer.. and if so how do you like it. thinking about it for Christmas .. I like the idea of having a really spacious bowl. As far as I know the largest bowl KA has is the 6qt pro series.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebymilan

does anyone have the new Cuisinart 7qt stand mixer.. and if so how do you like it. thinking about it for Christmas .. I like the idea of having a really spacious bowl. As far as I know the largest bowl KA has is the 6qt pro series.

I have it and my only complaint is that if I am doing three egg yolks and sugar it takes forever as the beater doesn't exactly reach the bottom if that makes sense the way I'm describing it. I know you can buy some sort of beater that does but I haven't done it yet. I use my small KA for something like what I described. Other than that, I love it.

FleurDeCake Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #54 of 63

terri...where would you purchase the extended beater and would it be a paddle type beater.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:58am
post #55 of 63

I have a Cusinart 7 qt and I love it. I love the timing feature on it. Keep in mind I this is my first stand mixer and I have been baking for years. I wish it had a dough hook because I'd love trying to make fondant with it.

JodieF Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:03am
post #56 of 63

Roweeena...no...I said I have a 24 year old KA that has never had a problem. My daughter has that mixer now. My 6 quart Pro is only a few years old and has had several hundred dollars worth of repairs.

Jodie

FleurDeCake Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #57 of 63

aquamom.. i just saw the info video on the cuisinart website and it indicates that there is a dough hook... how long have you had yours

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:21am
post #58 of 63

Does anyone know anything about "Cooks" stand mixer?

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:36am
post #59 of 63

I think I saw something on it on Amazon one time. I need to buy it. Otherwise I do love it. Mine came with a dough hook, I've had it about 18 months.

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:37am
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebymilan

terri...where would you purchase the extended beater and would it be a paddle type beater.

I have the 7qt Waring Commercial...looks kike the Cuisinart,but supposedly stronger...I have the same problem with the "bottom of the bowl" ...there is a type of paddle with scrapers attached...I had checked and they're made for the Cuisinart model,but would also fit mine(they use the same bowl and attachments for the 2 machines).Up here,Golda's Kitchen (online and on site in Toronto) has them....I haven't tried /ordered it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%