Icing Keeps Coming Off With Fondant ???

Decorating By calynmom Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 8:41am by brincess_b

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:13am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone.

I have an important cake coming and need some help.

I am having trouble with my icing coming off with the fondant when you cut it. Is this normal or is there anyway to keep it from doing that.

If I want to put fondant banners on the sides of the cake will it hold up on buttercream or should I cover the cake in fondant so it will stick better?

How thin can I make the fondant. ???

These are few questions I have and i'm sure there will be more. I'm getting really nervous with this cake.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:22am
post #2 of 4

What do you mean by the "icing coming off with the fondant when you cut it"? Are you removing the fondant from the cake and then cutting the cake? If so, stop doing that. Fondant is edible. It is meant to be eaten. Leave the fondant on the cake and cut the cake with the fondant on the cake.

Others with more fondant experience than I can better answer your other questions.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:17am
post #3 of 4

Yes you can apply fondant decorations to bc icing. If the icing has crusted already than I slightly dampen the back of the fondant with water and attach it to the bc (or alternatively you could use a dab of bc on the back as well, some even use piping gel).

When covering the entire cake you can roll it between 1/8-1/4" thick. I roll mine out usually about 1/4" thickness.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:41am
post #4 of 4

to cut a fondant cake you need a sharp, non serated knife other than that, i dont have a clue what your problem is - try not to cut slice by slice aybe, stick with long downwards cuts.

if you want the fondant really thin for the banners, you might be better using gumpaste, which rolls so much thinner. thin fondant is more likely to rip.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%