Chefmaster Vs. Americolor - Questions

Decorating By breelaura Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm by Sugarflowers

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 2

I know this question has been batted about quite a bit here, but I'd like to ask specifically those out there who have used both Americolor gel and Chefmaster liqua-gel colorings a couple of questions. Feel free to throw in other brands you think bear consideration - I've used Americolor (and -ahem- Wilton) so I've got that as a basis for comparison.

1. Taste. Is there a comparative difference in the ick factor, especially in reds/blacks? Who gets your vote?

2. Intensity. Is there a difference in the amount of product you have to use?

3. Development. Is there a difference in how long it takes to see the true color (especially reds and blacks)?

Chefmaster questions:
1. Are you using the gel or the liqua-gel, and is there a difference? I tend to find that I prefer squeeze bottles but that might just be b/c Wilton gel packaging is particularly messy? (Is Chefmaster's gel packaging less of a leaking nightmare?)

2. Does Chefmaster liqui-gel work with flo-coat for candy?

Thanks to all for your input, and feel free to mention any tidbits I forgot to ask about! icon_smile.gif

1 reply
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 2

I have used both and I prefer Americolor. It seems to take less color than Chefmaster. Chefmaster gel is a little thin for my taste. As for flavor, I have not noticed any negative flavors in either one of them. Americolors seem to be truer colors and come to full color fairly quickly.

These are just my opinions, but I hope it helps.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%