How Do I Make This Football Stand Up

Decorating By jillmakescakes Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm by KHalstead

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 5

So I tried PM'ing the owner, and no response. Her profile shows she's not a frequent poster, so she may not check CC often (how is that possible icon_eek.gif )

Here is her photo that I want to do. My question is how do I get the football to stand up?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1475977

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 5

Is is possible that the field is the cake and that football is a RKT? If so, it would be easy -just dowel it into the cake board.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

That is an incredible looking cake. It says it is cake or I was going to say that maybe the bottom of the football was rice krispy treats to support the cake on top I'm anxious to hear how someone thinks this was made.

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 5

I would screw a Flang (i think thats what they are called) to my board and then take clean PVC pipe and screw it into the flang that is attached to the board. Core the cake or RKT to go over the PVC pipe and shape from there. If that makes sense!

Hopefully someone else may know what Im talking about and can futher explain!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 5

well, did anyone else notice that 3/4 of the way down on the football there is a "line" in the fondant, or a ripple of sorts. I'm wondering if the very bottom portion of that football isn't carved from styrofoam as the base, then cakes stacked on top and carved. Would wind up being not any different than a topsy turvy cake wouldn't you think? Only wider on the bottom instead of on top?

I can't imagine the entire thing is 100% cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%